Forums » News and Announcements

BEST 2D AND 3D CAD DRAFTING SOFTWARE

• 1408 posts
    September 13, 2022 9:37 PM EDT

BEST 2D AND 3D CAD DRAFTING SOFTWARE

Looking for the best 2d cad software? Not sure which 3D cad is for you? Need some free cad drafting software? Look no further! I have had quite a few enquiries about cad software, drafting programs and the like. It has led me to do further research into all the different cad softwares that are available and what the benefits of the different products are. It is an extensive list, so I have tried to select the ones that would be most useful in the field of architecture. We will look at both 2D and 3D drafting software, both free and paid products.To get more news about free online 2d drafting, you can visit shine news official website.

If you are a student, I think it is important to consider what programs are most commonly used in industry, in your country/region – as from an employability point of view it is key that you are up to speed with the software most practices are using. If you are studying at university or college you should have access to free student versions of the most popular (and often expensive) softwares.

You’ll notice I have included AutoCAD in the 2d category. Obviously I am well aware that it has 3D functionality, but my argument is that if you are going to choose an Autodesk product for 3d architectural work, it is most likely you would choose Revit or AutoCAD Architecture over AutoCAD.

AutoCAD is probably one of the best know drafting softwares around. Generally used for 2D drafting, drawings and documentation. It is also used for 3D modelling and visualisation.

DraftSight is a professional 2D design and drafting software that allows you to create, edit, view and markup any kind of 2D drawing. It is not entirely clear what the difference is between the free version and the professional version. However, the professional version is a very reasonable price. I have not used DraftSight myself but am aware that it is a popular tool amongst some of my acquaintances.

Draft It features 4 different pricing options, and to be quite honest I would only really consider the Architectural (most expensive) as the others are lacking in some pretty key features.

I would say the interface and functionality of Draft It seems a little basic compared to some of the other drafting softwares out there – but they do offer a trial version so give it a go! They have a vast range of lessons and support videos so you could very quickly gain a good understanding of the software.

SketchUp is a great 3D modelling software that can do SO much! Not only can you use it to create really simple massing models, or mess around with your design ideas. You can produce full drawing sets using LayOut, create incredible architectural visualisations using a third party render system, and a multitude of things in-between. It also has a vast community uploaded object library which can really speed up your modelling time, along with a wide range of extensions and plugins to take your 3D modelling to the next level.

The Pro version features dwg importing, which is really useful, along with LayOut for producing your presentation drawings, but also now with a DWG exporter which is pretty cool.