Forums » Suggestions

Rangers Alexy an Intriguing Option Range

• 358 posts
    December 4, 2022 7:50 AM EST

The Texas Rangers have a number Adam Foote Jersey of young pitchers in camp, and there are a number of spots open for competition.The starting rotation has multiple spots up for grabs with several pitchers gunning for a spot. Regarding the bullpen, the back end seems to be taken care of with the return of a healthy Jos Leclerc and the emergence of Jonathan Hernndez as a legitimate setup option.However, injuries have already affected a couple of relief options in camp. Demarcus Evans is dealing with a lat injury that will keep him off a mound until mid-March. Joely Rodriguez is dealing with an ankle sprain that has slowed him down just a bit. In addition, Rodriguez has not arrived in camp yet due Semyon Varlamov Jersey to a visa delay.READ MORE: It may seem like a long shot, but A.J. Alexy is an intriguing option in camp. The right-handed flamethrower is 's No. 21 prospect in the Rangers' organization, while ranks him 25th. But his upper-90's fastball and 12-6 breaking ball provide the Rangers a potentially dangerous combination."This guy's got a really good makeup," Rangers manager Chris Woodward said in Thursday's Zoom call with the media. "He's a competitor. Paul Kariya Jersey If he attacks the strike zone, I don't know. I mean, it's hard to rule it out."Scroll to ContinueThe disadvantage Alexy faces is seasoning in the minor leagues. The 22-year-old hurler has never pitched above Cla s A, and dealt with some inflated numbers at High-A Down East in 2019 (Down East is now the Low-A Rangers affiliate).During the cancelation of the minor league season in 2020, Alexy has worked on his mechanics in Arizona, which included shortening his arm motion. Woodward compares the adjustment to Chicago White Sox ace Lucas Giolito. Alexy impre sed club officials with Nicolas Meloche Jersey a eye-opening performance at instructs last fall, which doesn't rule out the po sibility of Alexy pitching in Arlington at some point in 2021."You see more pitchers like him at a younger age get to the big leagues, just because they understand who they are quicker," Woodward said. "I think in the past, we always had to have like, 'He's got a pitch in A ball, Double-A, Triple A.' When you have elite stuff like that, and you now attack the strike zone with it, and you understand how it works, you can get anybody out in baseball. We have the data to prove that."Alexy's control is going to be the thing to watch this spring. Woodward plans to put him in tough spots throughout camp and put him up against good hitters."It's up to him, honestly," Woodward said. "At the same time, understand he's going to develop and we'll see how that development trends. But Joe Sakic Jersey I would love to have him if he's ready."CONTINUE READING: