Forums » News and Announcements

then cruised after breakin

• December 9, 2019 2:50 AM EST

Each week, The Reporters put their thumbs out to the good and the bad in the world of sports. Frank Tanana Jersey . This week, they discuss Luol Deng, Craig Leipold, Saku Koivu, and the NHL trying to write an understandable rule covering "kicked in" goals. Bruce Arthur, Toronto Star My thumb is up to Luol Deng of the Miami Heat. Deng, one of the most respected players in the NBA, was the subject of a racist scouting report originating that said Deng "has a little Africa in him," and compared him to a respectable shopkeeper who sells counterfeit goods. It was leaked amid an Atlanta Hawks ownership war, and that revelation has torn the franchise apart: the owner is selling, and general manager Danny Ferry, who read it aloud, is on indefinite leave. Dengs reaction, though, was perfect. He issued a statement that struck exactly the correct tone, and included Deng saying, "Im proud to say I actually have a lot of African in me, not just a little." He showed pride, strength, and grace. In this wretched week for sports, we needed that. Steve Simmons, SUN Media My thumb is up to Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold for offering to fly anyone in his organization to Saturdays funeral of Bob Suter, the first “Miracle on Ice” player to pass away. It wasnt just that Suter did some work for the Wild or was the father of Minnesota star defenceman Ryan Suter.  It was who he was in the hockey world and what he represented that mattered so much. Unlike his son and his brother Gary, Bob Suter never played an NHL game. After the gold medal win in Lake Placid in 1980, he moved home to Wisconsin, opened up a sporting goods business, was involved in community, coached kids hockey. Among the non-family members he influenced: Phil and Amanda Kessel. Bob Suter was only 57 years old. The heart attack that took him too soon came in a hockey arena.   Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated My thumb is up to Saku Koivu, who never got his name engraved on the Stanley Cup but whose signature is on something of even more value - a pet scanner at Montreal General Hospital. Koivu retired this week after an end-of-career turn in Anaheim, but he will be remembered as the long-serving captain of the Canadiens, overcoming non-Hodgkins lymphoma and returning to the most thunderous ovation since Rocket Richard closed the Forum. Koivu was a lightning rod for criticism - he never did learn French - but deeds are more significant than words. He and his foundation bought the diagnostic machine that has helped thousands of cancer-stricken Montrealers. That is a proud legacy. Dave Hodge, TSN I sympathize with the NHL, but my thumb is down for the NHLs continuing inability to write an understandable rule that covers a goal scored when a puck goes into the net off an attacking players skate. I sympathize because what the NHL wants to do cant be done. It wants a rule that says some goals off skates should count, and others shouldnt. So the latest attempt requires “more demonstrable video evidence of a distinct kicking motion” to wipe out a goal or to uphold the call of “no goal.” This would be okay if we ever knew what the level of “demonstrable evidence” was previously. Then we could identify more of it when we see it in the coming season. There is a concern that a rule that allows all goals off skates would create wild attempts to kick at pucks in the crease. In fact, that is possible anywhere else on the ice, and isnt regarded as any sort of problem. The “kicked goal” rule is and always will be until it no longer exists. Billy Rogell Jersey . Minutes after the previously winless Colts got their first win, 27-13 over Tennessee, team vice chairman Bill Polian said the four-time league MVP will not play this season though he has begun throwing to teammates at the team complex. Grayson Greiner Jersey . Not to be outdone, Atletico Madrid bettered its title rivals by demolishing 10-man Getafe 7-0 with Diego Costa returning from injury to score with a brilliant bicycle kick. "It was an almost perfect night," Atletico coach Diego Simeone said.CHENNAI, India - Stan Wawrinka will defend his Chennai Open title against Aljaz Bedene of Slovenia, the first qualifier to reach the final in the tournaments 20-year history.Wawrinka, also preparing for his defence of the Australian Open title, beat fourth-seeded David Goffin of Belgium 7-5, 6-3, while Bedene knocked out a third seed this week when he overcame third-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8) in the semifinals on Saturday.Looking for his third title here, Wawrinka had to slug it out with Goffin in the first set, then cruised after breaking him in the second game of the second.Wawrinka said he was looking forward to his fourth final at Chennai.I lost against him here some years ago and he played amazingly then, Wawrinka said of his loss to Bedene in the 2013 quarterfinals, though he bbeat him last year at the same stage. Schoolboy Rowe Jersey. Its going to be a really good match, an interesting one for sure.In reaching his first career final, Bedene also became the first Slovenian to make an ATP final since October 2012.In a match replete with service breaks, Bedene saved four match points, including two in the tiebreaker.He made 20 unforced errors to lose the first set tamely but rallied for a memorable win over 15th-ranked Bautista Agut, the ATPs most improved player of 2014.Bedene slammed seven of his 15 aces in the deciding set.Ive worked hard and have been playing well this week, said Bedene, who has dropped only two sets in three qualifying matches, and four in the main draw.Bedene has beaten second-seeded Feliciano Lopez, and fifth-seeded Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, both from Spain. ' ' '