Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

We all know that special teams are

• December 6, 2019 1:50 AM EST

TAMPA, Fla. Jay Bell Jersey . -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers say a third player has been diagnosed with MRSA, a staph infection that is resistant to many common antibiotics. General manager Mark Dominik made the announcement Friday, a day after confirming guard Carl Nicks is being treated for a recurrence of MRSA. Dominik and coach Greg Schiano declined to identify the third player involved in the case diagnosed late Thursday, saying the player requested his name not be released. "Ive spoken to the player, Ive spoken to his agent, and were not at liberty to confirm or deny any player right now," Dominik said. NFL.com reported the player was rookie cornerback Johnthan Banks. The second-round draft pick out of Mississippi State was the only new addition Friday to the injury report, which said Banks did not practice due to illness. Banks is listed as questionable for Sundays game against Philadelphia. Nicks, who along with kicker Lawrence Tynes was diagnosed as having MRSA in August, also sat out practice. He is questionable to play against Philadelphia. The team flew in an infectious disease expert to answer questions players had before practice. Schiano said the session lasted more than an hour, pushing back the teams practice schedule. "As in anything, I think so much of the fear is the unknown," Schiano said. "So as we became better educated, I think kind of understands the game plan and how to make sure this doesnt become a bigger problem." Dr. Deverick J. Anderson, an associate professor of medicine at the Duke University Medical Center and co-director of the Duke Infection Control Outwork Network said even though there are no other confirmed cases of MRSA on other NFL teams that he doesnt feel players and staff in Tampa Bay are at any higher risk of coming in contact with MRSA. Meanwhile, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith issued a statement on the situation. "We have been involved in an ongoing review of the MRSA incidents in Tampa Bay initiated by the concerns we had about the manner in which team officials responded to these cases," Smith said in a statement. "We advised the NFL and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that an outside expert should be brought in to assess the situation and we are pleased with their decision to take that recommendation," Smith added. "We have also been in regular contact with the player representatives from Tampa Bay. We will reach out to the Philadelphia Eagles player representatives today and provide them with our best medical guidance and regular updates from the outside experts." Smith said the situation in Tampa "underscores the need for a League-wide, comprehensive and standardized infectious disease protocol" as well as "improved accountability measures on health and safety issues by the NFL over the clubs." The initial cases of MRSA were confirmed while the Bucs were in New England holding joint practices with the Patriots before a preseason game. The team hired a company to sanitize One Buc Place, the teams headquarters and training facility, on two separate occasions in an effort to minimize the prospect of other cases. The Bucs said at the time they did not know where Nicks and Tynes were exposed to MRSA. Anderson did not plan to recommend a third cleaning of the facility, but that he was working with the team on things players can do themselves to minimize the risk of getting MRSA. "I can say that I believe it is a safe environment for players and staff," said Anderson, who toured the complex in August and also observed how the team practices after Nicks and Tynes were diagnosed in August. The expert said the cases involving Nicks and Tynes do not appear to be related, explaining there are different strains of MRSA. "We dont know about the third one yet. We still need additional information about the specific MRSA that were dealing with," Anderson said. "But we can actually definitely say that the first two cases were not related to each other." And, the doctor said Nicks and Tynes did not get the infection from one another. Nicks sat out the preseason and also missed the first two games of the regular season before being told he was "MRSA free." He started the past two games against New England and Arizona. Tynes, who helped the New York Giants win a pair of Super Bowls, signed with the Bucs before training camp. He was sidelined by an ingrown toenail on his kicking foot when he was diagnosed as having MRSA. The Bucs later placed Tynes on the non-football injury list instead of injured reserve. He is being paid his salary, however the players union has filed a grievance on the kickers behalf due concerns about how the team handled the infection. Mitch Keller Jersey . On July 27 cyclings best-known race will host "La Course by Le Tour de France" -- a one-day womens competition staged hours before Tour riders race on the same circuit to finish the three-week event on Paris Champs-Elysees. Jason Kendall Jersey . Vonn flew back to Vail, Colo., last week after hurting her surgically repaired right knee at a downhill race in France. "Her knee was swollen again after Val dIsere," U.S. womens head coach Alex Hoedlmoser told The Associated Press. ST. JOHNS, N.L. -- Josh Morrissey was going to get a goal eventually. He just didnt know it would come in the playoffs. Morrissey scored his first goal as a pro to help the St. Johns IceCaps beat the Norfolk Admirals 2-1 to tie their series at one Wednesday night in American Hockey League playoff action. "Its pretty nice, for sure," Morrissey said. "Ive had some really good chances here in the last couple of games and Im getting a lot more confident. I guess I knew sooner or later it would come (but) its nice to get it tonight." IceCaps head coach Keith McCambridge is happy with the play of the 19-year-old defenceman. "He has earned the trust of the coaching staff and, just as importantly, his teammates," said McCambridge. "Hes a young, top-end prospect. Throughout the playoffs he has been strong for us. He was picked in the first round for a reason. Hes a good player and hes going to continue to get better." Morrissey said that knowing his coach is behind him has helped his confidence. "Its awesome for them to have that confidence in me. The players and coaches have made me feel comfortable since (I have been) here. They have really helped me adapt to the level of play. Its a lot easier to play when youre comfortable." The IceCaps scored both of their goals on the powerr play, which was an important factor in the win according to McCambridge. Pittsburgh Pirates Gear. "We all know that special teams are a huge piece of being able to win games in the playoffs, so for us to be able to capitalize on those chances was obviously a big part of this game," said McCambridge. "Those power plays, some games they are clicking and other games you have to try and make adjustments." Jason Jaffray also scored for the IceCaps, while Chris Wagner had the lone goal for the Admirals. Morrissey broke the deadlock when he carried the puck over the blue-line and down the left wing before ripping a high wrist shot blocker side 2:48 into the second period on the power play. Jaffray doubled the IceCaps lead when he spun with his back to the net and unloaded a wrist shot into the back of the net on another power play nearly three minutes later. IceCaps goalie Michael Hutchinson saved his team from penalty trouble late in the second. Hutchinson came up big with a glove save on Matt Bailey, who wired a shot while wide open in the slot. Wagner brought the Admirals within one when he banged in a goal on the doorstep on the power play 10:05 into the third period after David Steckel threw the puck into the crease. Hutchinson finished with 32 saves while Admirals goalie John Gibson stopped 39. ' ' '