Forums » News and Announcements

10 Reasons To Visit Shanghai This Year

• 1440 posts
    December 21, 2021 9:18 PM EST

10 Reasons To Visit Shanghai This Year

The very mention of the city, Shanghai brings about images of bright city lights, ancient Chinese architecture, delicious and perhaps not-so-delicious food, a hive of activity and a city that is unlike anywhere else in the world.To get more news about Shanghai scenic spots, you can visit shine news official website.
    The problem with that though is that it’s very hard to combine all of these different ideas into a full picture of what Shanghai truly is.With that in mind, I wanted to share some simple reasons why you should visit Shanghai this year. Plus, we’ve included a link at the bottom of the post on the best things to do in Shanghai, too.
    I cheated on my first trip to China: I stayed at the Hyatt, hired a private guide, and didn’t stray far from the tourist trail. Like many travelers, I was intimidated by getting around on my own. It sure doesn’t feel like home and in some ways, it’s harder to visit than other countries. But harder doesn’t mean impossible and with a few China travel tips, your first trip doesn’t have to be daunting.
    I took my own advice for my second trip, actually putting effort into independent travel. I did everything myself, from booking transport to translating menus. This obviously meant more work, but it also meant I got exactly what I wanted (and room for spontaneity, too!).
    So if you’re visiting China for the first time, don’t be nervous. You can totally do this as long as you prepare a little bit.
    1. Buy, Download, and Set Up Your VPN
    Google is an amazing crutch for traveling, but it’s blocked by the Chinese firewall. In order to work around it, you’ll need to run a VPN. And you’ll need to make sure that your VPN is fully installed and paid for before you get to China.
    2. Learn the Tiniest Bit of the Language
    China is a hard place to learn the language. For one thing, you might need to learn Mandarin for some places and Cantonese for others (and there are plenty of other dialects to add to the confusion as well). The tonal sounds are hard for English-speakers and the calligraphy isn’t intuitive.3. Download DiDi
    When possible, I recommend traveling by metro to avoid the ridiculous traffic jams that are common throughout China.
    For car trips, though, the DiDi ride-sharing app is great for visitors. It works just like Uber, except that you’ll either need to charge your trip to WeChat/Alipay or pay cash (they won’t accept credit card).
    4. Buy Your Train Tickets in Advance
    It doesn’t have to be a holiday. It doesn’t have to be a weekend. There are just a lot of people in China and that means trains sell out. If your schedule is inflexible and you need a certain departure, don’t hesitate. Buy your ticket in advance (incredibly, you can change or refund it later if you need to). There’s no downside to buying in advance, just upside!
    5. Learn How to Use a Squat Toilet
    Unless you limit yourself only to the country’s most famous attractions and touristy restaurants, at some point you’ll probably need to use a squat toilet.
    If you’re used to squatting in the woods while hiking, these will be second-nature. If that’s a foreign idea for you, take 30 seconds in advance to figure it out.
    6. Cash is King
    The workarounds to setting up WeChat or Alipay (mobile payment) change frequently — right now, you MIGHT be able to add funds to WeChat through the desktop app — but cash will always work. No, it’s not as convenient as mobile payment, but it’s far more reliable than trying to pull out your Visa.
    7. Be Firm While Queueing
    When you’re standing in line, be firm with your position. You don’t have to push or shove or be aggressive, but if you don’t stand firm, you’ll lose your place — over and over!
    Remember, “personal space” isn’t a thing in China, so you’ll need to move closer to the person in front of you in order to hold your position.
    8. Add Wiggle Room to Your Schedule
    On the subject of queuing, be prepared to sit and wait throughout the entirety of your trip. Traffic congestion, flight delays, subway security checks, waiting for tables at restaurants, and ticketing queues can eat into your day.
    9. Travel Off-Peak
    My first trip to China was in late May; the second in mid-January. The difference in crowds was night and day, and even though I had to deal with the cold in winter, it was worth it for me.
    10. Get the 10-Year Visa
    Applying for a Chinese visa is expensive, but it’s the same price to get a 10-year visa as a single entry and there’s no extra work involved!

I definitely recommend requesting the 10-year visa so you have the option of returning as often as you like. You never know when the opportunity may come up.