Forums » News and Announcements

nsistent." Aleksandra Wozniak of

• 68 posts
    January 20, 2020 10:20 PM EST

4. Jose Cruz Jersey . Mine That Bird – 2009Mine That Bird makes this list not only for being the second-biggest upset winner in Derby history at an insane 50-1, but also for mounting a classic comeback with astounding speed and skill. This birds eye view video below is the perfect way to watch the gelding find a nearly imperceptible bit of space and slide up the rail almost unnoticed. And once Mine That Bird found an opening, the rest was raw power.3. Unbridled – 1990After falling all the way down to 11th place at the halfway mark, things didnt look good for this 11-1 shot. But true to its name, this horse could not be constrained, and mounted a legendary charge, eventually winning the race by four lengths. Amazingly, Unbridleds insane comeback wasnt even the most entertaining part of this race. For that youll have to watch trainer Carl Nafzger screaming in the face of the horses 92-year-old owner Frances Genter: "Hes taking the lead! Hes gonna win! Hes the winner! He won it! Oh, Mrs. Genter, I love you!!!" 2. Grindstone – 1996Easily one of the closest races in Derby history, the 1996 running featured Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey at arguably his finest moment, guiding Grindstone, the son of Unbridled, to an unforgettable finish. Bailey had dropped as far back as 15th place in the early going before taking his colt way outside for a stretch drive showdown with Cavonnier that saw Grindstone somehow eke out the victory on the final stride of the race.1. Secretariat – 1973.The horse, the myth, the legend. Secretariat was a heavy favourite going into the race, but he was astonishingly sluggish out of the gate. A minute into the race, Shecky Greene was the frontrunner, with Secretariat in sixth place. Despite the slow start, Secretariat came through late, scoring a Kentucky Derby record time of 1:59 2/5 that stands to this day. The cause of his blazing speed? After Secretariats death in 1989, an autopsy revealed that his heart was almost two-and-a-half times larger than that of the average horse.TSN airs the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby today (Saturday, May 3) at 4 p.m. ET. Craig Biggio Jersey . Dane Dobbie had four goals and two assists, Karsen Leung had two goals and two assists, and Matthew Dinsdale scored two and helped on another for Calgary (6-3). Shawn Evans and Jeff Shattler had eight-point games with a goal and seven assists apiece, and Jon Harnett and Geoff Snider also scored. Kyle Tucker Jersey . Scott scored a career-high 30 points, Jeff Teague added 28 and the Hawks rallied to beat the New York Knicks 107-98 on Saturday night. "We were down Paul, down so many bodies," Scott said. NEW YORK -- Milos Raonic is the lone Canadian left in singles at the U.S. Open. Raonic advanced to the third round with a 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Spains Pablo Andujar on Thursday. The 10th-seeded Thornhill, Ont., native fired a modest nine aces, with Andujar saving match points in the last two games. Raonic served it out a game later to take the win on his sixth winning opportunity with a deep forehand to the corner after just over two hours. The 22-year-old is quietly looking ahead to what he hopes will be continual improvement at the final major of the season. "Im playing really well. I created a lot of opportunities for myself, especially on his serve," said Raonic. "But I can serve better, so that gives me a day to work on it. It gives me a lot of confidence and a lot of belief in myself." Raonic will next face Feliciano Lopez after the Spaniard defeated American Bradley Klahn 6-4, 7-6 (7-4), 4-6, 7-5. Raonics best results at a major were a pair of fourth-round exits at the Australian Open and in New York in 2011. Earlier in the mens side, Spains Tommy Robredo defeated Frank Dancevic of Niagara Falls, Ont., 6-4, 6-4, 6-1. There were no survivors for Canada on the womens side. Montreals Eugenie Bouchard fought off four match points before losing 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 to eighth-seeded Angelique Kerber. Bouchard was unable to match her third-round Wimbeldon showing last month. The teen, ranked 59th in the world, finished with 41 winners and 43 errors against Kerber. Bouchard broke six times on 14 chances but lost her own serve on seven occasions and committed seven double-faults. Bouchard saved four match points through winners as she served trailing a set and 3-5 in the third. But a serving error handed Kerber a fifth winning chance, with the German taking the victory on Bouchards wide forehaand. Carlos Correa Jersey. "Its always disappointing to lose, Im a bit down about that," Bouchard said . "I felt I played well, I tried to be aggressive. But shes a good counter-puncher, every time I came to the net she passed me. "My first serve was nowhere as good as it can be, but I made up for some of it with my second serve. But I need to work on my fitness as well as my mental strength. This match showed that Im close, I was dictating and competing. But I need to get a bit more consistent." Aleksandra Wozniak of Blainville, Que., playing only her second match since March after last autumns shoulder injury, faced a huge task against double Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka and lost 6-3, 6-1. "Shes a Grand Slam winner and Ive not played much tennis," Wozniak said. "This was only my third match and 10 and a half months." Wozniak said her shoulder is better but it will take time to return to form. "The shoulder is now 100 per cent," she said. "But I need more match play to get back my game and my rhythm. "I tried to play like I used to, fast and aggressive. But I need to work on my anticipation, judging the ball. I waited too long today and made errors. But I did return well, I just need to work on the serve." Wozniak is working to get her match feel back after almost a year of injury hell. She is playing the Open with a protected ranking as she works her way back on the WTA and plans a return to her home event in Quebec City where she suffered her injury. Canada is still competing in mens doubles. Torontos Daniel Nestor and Vasek Pospisil combined for a first-round win, beating Indias Mahesh Bhupathi and German Philipp Petzschner 6-3, 7-6 (7-4). Its Nestors first Grand Slam since splitting from Swede Robert Lindstedt this month. ' ' '