Forums » Support

retiring his final 10 batters. T

• January 20, 2020 4:32 AM EST

BOSTON -- Mike Carp spent more than a month on the disabled list with a broken right foot. Nike Air Force 1 Just Do It Blanche Pas Cher . He watched the Boston Red Sox struggle, wishing he could contribute. Sometimes, he couldnt bear to watch. "Some of the nights, I almost had to turn the TV off in those situations because you cant be there to help," Carp said. "Its tough being on the DL with a boot on my foot." He was smiling Thursday after delivering a pinch-hit single in the 10th inning that gave the Red Sox a 4-3 win, their second consecutive walk-off victory over the Chicago White Sox. "Happy times," said Carp, who was on the disabled list from June 2 until being activated Monday. There havent been many of those this season for the Red Sox, the defending World Series champions who are in last place in the AL East. With two straight wins to end their 3-7 homestand, they head to Houston for a three-game series with a chance to build some momentum going into the All-Star break. "Hopefully itll get us in a little bit of a rhythm, comfort level," said left-hander Jon Lester, who allowed one run and struck out 12 in seven innings. "A win like today is huge." Lester gave up seven hits and no walks. In his last six starts, hes 3-0 with a 1.01 ERA, 39 strikeouts, six walks and 33 hits allowed in 44 2-3 innings. He extended his streak to 45 innings without giving up a homer. But fellow All-Star Koji Uehara allowed a tying, two-run homer in the ninth to pinch-hitter Conor Gillaspie -- his third long ball in three games and fourth of the season. "Hes been hotter than all get-out lately," teammate Adam Eaton said. David Ortiz had a two-run double that gave the Red Sox a 3-1 lead in the sixth after Jose Quintana retired Bostons first 15 batters. "I really wanted to win this game because (Lesters) a really good pitcher," said Quintana, whose scoreless streak ended at 20 2-3 innings, "but I had one bad inning in the sixth." Pinch-hitter Daniel Nava started the winning rally with a leadoff walk and went to second on a sacrifice by Mookie Betts. Stephen Drew, in an 0-for-15 slump, was intentionally walked by Ronald Belisario (3-6). Carp, who had been 0 for 2 as a pinch hitter in the series, then batted for David Ross and lined a single between shortstop and third base. Nava scored the winning run for the second consecutive game, and Carp was mobbed by teammates rushing out of the dugout. In Bostons 5-4 comeback victory Wednesday night, Nava doubled in Betts for the tying run in the ninth and scored on Brock Holts single. Chicago had runners at first and third with two outs in the 10th, but Alexei Ramirez was retired on a grounder to pitcher Andrew Miller (3-5). Ramirez led off the ninth with an infield single -- after first base umpire Cory Blasers out call was reversed on replay. Uehara then struck out Paul Konerko before Gillaspie, batting for Moises Sierra, homered. Lester trailed 1-0 after three batters. Eaton singled, Gordon Beckham struck out and Jose Abreu hit an RBI double over a leaping Jonny Gomes in left field. Lester then struck out Dayan Viciedo. Lester fanned two batters in each of the first five innings and one each in the sixth and seventh before being replaced by Junichi Tazawa, who pitched a perfect eighth. Uehara failed to hold the lead, though, his second blown save in 20 chances this season. Boston went ahead in the sixth when the first three batters reached base on full counts. Drew became Bostons first runner with a walk and went to second on a walk to Ross. Jackie Bradley Jr. attempted to bunt on the first four pitches, then took a ball to bring the count to 3-2. He grounded a single to right field for Bostons first hit, driving in Drew with the tying run. The next two batters were retired before Ortizs two-run double. NOTES: Chicago lost its second straight game after winning its previous three. ... Boston scored in just five innings during the four-game series. ... Chicago LHP Chris Sale won the online fan vote for the final spot on the AL All-Star team, his third straight selection. "No matter, I think, how many you make, you still get excited about it," he said. ... The Red Sox send John Lackey (9-6) to the mound against Scott Feldman (4-5) in the opener of a three-game series at Houston on Friday night. The White Sox begin a three-game series at Cleveland with Hector Noesi (3-6) pitching against Corey Kluber (8-6) of the Indians. Nike Air Force 1 07 Femme Pas Cher . -- Stanley Johnson scored all 18 of his points in the second half, T. Air Force 1 France . Keenum will make his first appearance in a regular-season game against the rugged defence of the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, where the fans just set a Guinness record as the noisiest outdoor stadium in the world.SAN FRANCISCO -- With only a handful of wins over the past two years, the Colorado Rockies have grown to loathe their annual visits to AT&T Park. A five-run ninth inning against Giants closer Sergio Romo might just change how manager Walt Weisss club views its road trips to San Francisco. D.J. LeMahieu hit a tiebreaking single after going hitless in his first three at-bats, and the Rockies rallied to beat the Giants 7-4 on Friday night. "Its a tough place to play, not only for us but for everybody," said Weiss, whose club had dropped 15 of 18 at the Giants waterfront ballpark. "The Giants are always tough at home. To win a game like that, not only the first game of the series but the way we won it, (is) big for our club." The Rockies had gone five straight innings without a hit before scoring five times off Romo (3-2), who went into the night tied for most saves in the majors. Troy Tulowitzki had a leadoff single, but was replaced by Charlie Culberson after injuring his foot reaching first base. After Justin Morneau singled, Romo retired Wilin Rosario on a fly to centre field. He then intentionally walked Corey Dickerson to load the bases. Pinch-hitter Ryan Wheeler hit a two-run single before LeMahieus soft single to centre drove in Dickerson. "(Romo) does such a good job of keeping the ball down," Wheeler said. "Even the pitch I hit, I think it was a ball. I hit the barrel and it went up the middle." Michael McKenry added an RBI single off George Kontos, and LeMahieu scored while McKenry was caught in a rundown between first and second. Matt Belisle (1-2) pitched one inning for the win, and LaTroy Hawkins worked the ninth for his 12th save. "This team knows what to do and we continue to hold each other accountable, but you still have to get it done," Belisle said. "Tonight, thats what happened." The Rockies had to overcome an injuury-shortened night by starter Jorge De La Rosa. Air Force 1 Shell Pas Cher. The left-hander, who had lost his previous two starts, was forced out of the game after the third inning due to tightness in his lower back. The Rockies bailed him out with their huge ninth, marking the eighth time this season Colorado has won in its final at-bat. "They found a way to find the holes," Romo said following his third blown save this season. "I have no explanation for that other than it was their night. I felt fine. I needed a groundball and it didnt work out." Up to that point, Weiss team hadnt done much. Tim Lincecum worked six solid innings for San Francisco. The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner allowed three hits and two runs, retiring his final 10 batters. Three relievers combined to shut out Colorado over the next two innings before Romos collapse in the ninth. Morneau finished with two hits, the only Rockies player with multiple hits. De La Rosa struggled even before his back acted up. He had to strike out Lincecum to escape a bases-loaded jam in the second, then gave up a leadoff double to Angel Pagan in the third. After Hunter Pences RBI single, De La Rosa retired the next two batters but threw one pitch to Michael Morse before summoning team trainers and Weiss to the mound. Umpires allowed De La Rosa to make a few warmup pitches before Morse hit a tying single. Morse also doubled off Tommy Kahnle in the fifth, and Pence doubled and scored on a wild pitch by Chris Martin in the seventh. NOTES: C Rosario got hit in the face by a ball he fouled off that hit the ground and bounced straight up in the second inning. A team trainer came out to check on Rosario, who stayed in the game. ... Colorado RHP Christian Bergman (0-1) will make his second major league start on Saturday. The rookie allowed two runs in six innings in his pro debut on Monday. RHP Ryan Vogelsong (4-3) pitches for San Francisco. ' ' '