Forums » News and Announcements

in performance director N

• 68 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:28 PM EST

Aidan OBrien is keeping his cards close to his chest after leaving seven horses from a total of 18 in the Investec Derby. Brynden Trawick Jersey . The Ballydoyle trainer has a strong hand, headed by US Army Ranger, as he goes for a sixth win in the premier Classic at Epsom on Saturday.US Army Ranger was making only his second racecourse appearance when just beating stablemate Port Douglas in the Chester Vase, with the runner-up that day still in consideration for the Derby. Completing OBriens team are Dante Stakes second Deauville, Idaho, Shogun, Beacon Rock and Bravery.As expected, OBrien withdrew French 2000 Guineas winner The Gurkha.They are all still in the mix for the Derby, and the first half of the week will tell us a lot and well see the forecast, he said.Nothing has been decided yet about riding arrangements, and Ryan (Moore) will be left as long as he wants to make up his mind.The French Derby is the next day and well try to have runners in both.Connections of Deauville were pleased with his effort at York behind Wings Of Desire.Alex Cole, racing manager to co-owners Jim and Fitri Hay, said: It was a wonderful run. He got to the front a bit early.We dont know about the mile and a half yet, so lets hope.Jim Bolger would like to see good ground for Moonlight Magic, who had Shogun, Idaho and Beacon Rock in his wake when landing the Derrinstown Stud Trial at Leopardstown.Moonlight Magic is in good form and on target for Epsom, said the Coolcullen handler.I dont think the ground will get much worse than good, and Ill be happy if it is good.The other Irish-trained entry is Dermot Welds Harzand, who won the Ballysax Stakes at Leopardstown last month.The market leader is Wings Of Desire, who was supplemented at a cost of £75,000 along with Cloth Of Stars, Humphrey Bogart and Red Verdon.Wings Of Desire burst on to the Derby scene when victorious in the Dante, having only made his racecourse debut last month.He bids to give trainer John Gosden back-to-back successes after Golden Horn 12 months ago.Godolphin, who own Moonlight Magic, have a second string to their bow in Cloth Of Stars, who won the Group Two Prix Greffulhe at Saint-Cloud for trainer Andre Fabre.Ed Dunlops Red Verdon has earned his big chance by winning handicaps in tremendous fashion.Silvestre de Sousa, the champion jockey, has been booked for Red Verdon. He commented: I cantered him yesterday morning and he felt good.Red Verdon is a nice horse with lots of scope and we have not seen the best of him yet. He won very easily last time with George (Baker).The Richard Hannon-trained Humphrey Bogart won the Lingfield Derby Trial and has had experience of Epsom, having chased home So Mi Dar in the Investec Derby Trial.I am looking forward to the Investec Derby immensely. The horse is in great form, moving well and you never know, Hannon said.He has surprised me all along this season. I didnt think he would get a mile and a quarter - he did, I didnt think he would get a mile and a half and he did.He has been to Epsom, he gets the trip and has got a lot of speed for a Derby horse - he will have more of a turn of foot than a lot of them. I hope he settles and the faster they go the more it will suit him.To get in the first four of the Investec Derby with Humphrey Bogart would be outstanding. We are pleased to get him there, he has earned the money it cost to supplement him and he has earned his spot.Sir Michael Stoute is double-handed with impressive Newbury maiden winner Ulysses and Lingfield Derby Trial third Across The Stars.The form of the 2000 Guineas is represented by Massaat, who was runner-up to Galileo Gold. He will bid to give Owen Burrows a Classic winner in his first season as a trainer.Completing the list of entries are David Simocks Algometer and the Karl Burke-trained Biodynamic. Sky Tickets Fast, secure racing tickets: Exclusive racing offers near you Also See: Live results service Full racecards Get Sky Sports Orlando Brown Jr. Jersey . Vonn had another scary moment at Saturdays World Cup downhill in Val dIsere, ending up clutching her knee in pain after losing her balance and missing a gate. But she gave a reassuring answer shortly afterward, saying no new damage had been done to the surgically repaired knee, and that her plans for the Sochi Olympics were still intact. Tyus Bowser Jersey . - Even with a new coach, the Denver Nuggets still love to push the basketball.Great Britain have named sprinter Asha Philip as team captain for this weeks World Indoor Championships in Portland. The 25-year-old, who will bid for a medal over 60m alongside team-mate Dina Asher-Smith at the Oregon Convention Centre on Saturday, will lead a youthful-looking 23-strong squad at the event.Philip, a former double-mini trampoline world junior champion, is ranked joint sixth in the world with a best time this year of 7.10 seconds. I love representing my country and its something that never gets old, so to have been selected to be captain of the British Athletics team at the World Indoor Championships is unreal and a massive honour, she said.This seems like this might be my year to finally shine. Everything has been going really well so far in 2016, so I hope to come here (to Portland) and execute my race and perform to the levels I know I can. Great Britain performance director Neil Black It would be the perfect way to head into the outdoor season in an Olympic year.PPhilip trains in Loughborough under Steve Fudge alongside some of Britains top male sprinters, including Adam Gemili, James Dasaolu and Paralympic champion Jonnie Peacock. Jimmy Smith Jersey. ritish Athletics performance director Neil Black said: Anyone who has followed athletics and Asha will know the passion and enthusiasm she displays when it comes to representing her country. This seems like this might be my year to finally shine. Everything has been going really well so far in 2016 Asha Philip But what many may not know is that for the last year or so Asha has been training in an all-male sprinting group in Loughborough and has proven herself to be one of the leaders in that group, displaying a range of leadership skills we hadnt seen before.Asha has a big personality, but it is the steel, focus and drive behind the outward confidence which I want her to bring to the captaincy and that I am sure will inspire the rest of the team. I am delighted she has accepted this role. ' ' '