Forums » Suggestions

d Raanta grabbed a slap shot b

• 68 posts
    January 15, 2020 9:32 PM EST

CHICAGO -- Dan Haren showed speed isnt always the most important factor to having success on the mound. Jason Spriggs Super Bowl Jersey . Despite throwing every pitch under 90 miles per hour, Haren allowed just five hits and one run in six strong innings to lead the Washington Nationals to a 4-2 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday night. "In the beginning of the year, I was throwing harder and my stuff was nasty," Haren said, "but I was getting burned by the homers and the one mistake I would make would kill me." Since being activated from the disabled list on July 8, Haren (8-11) is 4-2 with a 2.20 earned run average in eight starts. "Its been unbelievable," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. "Hes been really pitching good. Hes shown hes a quality pitcher and hes bounced back and pitched great." Asked for his take on the secret to Harens success against the Cubs while topping out at 89 mph, Johnson said: "He locates, changes speeds, hits his spots. Velocity is way overrated." Ryan Zimmerman had two hits and drove in a run, and Bryce Harper also had two hits and scored a crucial ninth-inning run for Washington. Zimmerman had two doubles and could have had two more hits as he lined out to third base in the third inning to start a double play and hit a hard shot at the centre fielder in the seventh. Harper doubled leading off the ninth and scored on Ian Desmonds RBI single to right field. Denard Span, a late-inning defensive replacement, added a run-scoring single for the Nationals final run. Rafael Soriano gave up a leadoff homer to Donnie Murphy in the bottom of the ninth before getting the last three outs for his 32nd save in 38 chances. Cubs starter Chris Rusin (2-3) gave up two runs and 10 hits in 5 2-3 innings, managing to work out of jam after jam with minimal damage. "Just made a couple mistakes that cost me, but I was able to get out of jams, so I helped myself out there," he said. Last September, Rusin was roughed up for five runs on eight hits in one inning against the Nationals. "It was better than last year against these guys," Rusin said. "We didnt get the win. Thats the bad part about it. Just got to learn from a couple mistakes." The Cubs offence -- which scored just 12 runs in eight home games before an 11-run outburst on Monday -- went back into its Wrigley Field struggles. "It is what it is right now," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "We score on home runs. Today, both solo home runs." For Haren, the last week has been a whirlwind. He pitched six innings in a start against San Francisco last Thursday, and then made a relief appearance on Saturday, pitching one inning to earn the save in the Nats 15-inning win over Atlanta. There was some concern about how Haren would bounce back. "I felt fine physically, but warming up, it was just a little tougher to get loose," he said. "The first inning or two was a battle, but as the game progressed my stuff got better. "I didnt have my best stuff, especially in the beginning like I said. My cutter was real good. I worked that in on lefties a lot. I didnt throw quite as many splits and my fastball got better as the game went along." The Nationals took a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning as Zimmerman opened with a double, moved to third on Jayson Werths single and scored one out later on Tyler Moores run-scoring infield single. Washington went ahead in the top of the first. Ian Desmond reached on a fielders chose when the Cubs failed to turn a seemingly routine double play, and then scored on Zimmermans double to left field. The Cubs tied it in the bottom of the fourth on Brian Bogusevics first homer of the season, a two-out shot to right field that landed in the first row of the bleachers. NOTES: After the game, the Nationals optioned LHP Ian Krol to Class AAA Syracuse to make room for RHP Ross Ohlendorf. "Hes still learning up here," Johnson said of Krol, "but hes got a heck of a future." ... Cubs SS Starlin Castro batted eighth for the first time this season. He went 0 for 4 to extend his slump to 1 for 27. ... After being sent to the minors earlier in the season, Nationals reliever Drew Storen is back and throwing the ball more effectively, coming off three scoreless appearances in Atlanta during the weekend. ... The four-game series continues Wednesday night with the Ohlendorf (2-0) facing the Cubs Jake Arrieta (1-0). Kevin King Super Bowl Jersey .Under the agreement announced Monday, the Cuban defector is guaranteed $68.5 million over six seasons.Tomas gets a $14 million signing bonus that is payable within 30 days of the deals approval by Major League Baseball, and then salaries of $2 million next year, $4 million in 2016, $6 million in 2017 and $10 million in 2018. Darnell Savage Jr. Super Bowl Jersey . The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the league hasnt announced the award. Crawford was the Clippers third-leading scorer and the NBAs top-scoring reserve with 18.CHICAGO -- Jonas Hiller and the Anaheim Ducks finally grabbed another shootout win. Against a good team, too. Hiller stopped Patrick Sharp and Patrick Kane in the tiebreaker, leading the Ducks to a 3-2 win Friday night and sending the Chicago Blackhawks to their third consecutive loss. Anaheim was coming off consecutive shootout losses to Los Angeles and San Jose. It had lost four tiebreaker games in a row since it beat Phoenix 3-2 on Oct. 18 in its first shootout game of the season. "Its been a while," said Hiller, who had 23 saves in regulation and overtime. After Jonathan Toews scored for Chicago on the first shootout attempt, Nick Bonino responded for Anaheim. Hiller then stopped Sharp, and Kyle Palmieri beat Antti Raanta with a backhand to give the Ducks the advantage. When Hiller made the save on Kane at the other end, it was over. "Once the Bonino, the fluky one, went in it was, OK, the monkeys off our back. Were good to go. Were going to start scoring again, because we missed about 18 in a row." Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said. Raanta had 24 saves in his first home game. It was the first NHL shootout for the rookie, who won each of his first two starts. He looked as if he could have stopped Boninos attempt in the tiebreaker, but it trickled under him for the score. "Now I know how the shootouts going to be in the NHL, so well have to keep on working with those also," Raanta said. Its the first three-game losing streak for the Blackhawks during the regular season since February 2012. They also lost three in a row against Detroit in the Western Conference playoffs last year, but managed to advance in seven games on their way to the title. "Frustrating. You cant overreact to it," Toews said of the slide. "You just have to keep improving on the little things we do well as a team, and know that if keep working, well eventually get the breaks." Ben Smith and Kris Versteeg scored for Chicago, which trailed 1-0 and 2-1, but rallied each time. The Blackhawks (20-6-5) stilll lead the NHL with 45 points. Rashan Gary Super Bowl Jersey. Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf scored in regulation for Anaheim (19-7-5), which has won five in a row against Chicago. "We continue to know how to play against these guys," Perry said. "We have a lot of great teams in the West, and theyre one of them." Getzlaf snapped a 1-1 tie at 10:05 of the second, using a screen by Perry to send a slap shot through Raantas legs. Getzlafs 15th goal came with Johnny Oduya in the penalty box for closing his hand on the puck. Anaheim remained in front until Bryan Allen was sent off for boarding Toews. The Blackhawks made the most of the power-play opportunity, with Versteeg beating Hiller into the upper right corner with 2:12 to go in the second. Versteegs second goal since he was reacquired in a trade with Florida on Nov. 14 stopped a streak of 26 consecutive kills for the Ducks. Each team had ample opportunities to move in front in the third, but Hiller and Raanta took turns turning away prime chances. Hiller denied a streaking Sharp right in front of the goal, and Raanta grabbed a slap shot by Matt Beleskey. Hiller also made a terrific kick save on Toews about 35 seconds into overtime, and the Ducks had a potential winning goal waved off. "That was a tight game," Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "Had a couple good chances late in the game that were dangerous and a couple big stops." NOTES: Getzlaf leads the Ducks with 19 assists. He has at least one point in each of his past 12 games. ... Blackhawks C Michal Handzus returned to the ice after missing two games with an illness. C Andrew Shaw (upper body) could return as soon as Sunday against Florida, while LW Bryan Bickell (lower body) is expected to begin skating again in the next week. ... The Ducks scratched Fs Tim Jackman and Patrick Maroon and defenceman Alex Grant. ... The Blackhawks charity organization launched an online raffle for a chance to win a 2013 Stanley Cup championship ring. The raffle runs through March 21. ' ' '