Forums » Suggestions

e seasons and went 16-

• 68 posts
    January 15, 2020 9:31 PM EST

TORONTO -- Like hes done all month, Edwin Encarnacion did his part to put the Toronto offence in position for a victory. Ronald Acuna Jr. Jersey. It was the defence that came up short Thursday night and it proved costly in an 8-6 loss to the Kansas City Royals. With two outs in the ninth inning, Toronto shortstop Jose Reyes had a chance to seal the win on a routine ground ball. However, his throw was low and pinch-runner Jarrod Dyson came around from second base to tie the game. The Royals scored two more runs in the 10th inning to end Torontos season-high nine-game winning streak. "Theres no excuse," Reyes said. "I should make a better throw there. Thats a routine ground ball, I got it perfect. I just didnt have enough on the throw." Omar Infante drove in a pair of runs off Toronto reliever Todd Redmond (0-4) in the 10th inning as Kansas City (25-28) ended its four-game losing skid. Greg Holland got the last three outs for his 15th save. "Well you dont expect to lose one like that," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "But you know what, weve been playing some good baseball. The key is just to come back out and play a good clean game tomorrow." Encarnacion continued his phenomenal play this month by launching two no-doubt homers to give him 18 on the season and a team record 16 for the month. "To watch what hes been doing this month, I dont know where it goes down in history but its pretty historic in my mind anyway," Gibbons said. Jose Bautista also homered for the Blue Jays, who had their seven-game home winning streak come to an end. Encarnacion is now one away from tying Barry Bonds major-league record for most homers in the month of May. Bonds hit 17 with San Francisco in May 2001. The Toronto slugger also has five multi-homer games this month, which ties the major-league record for any month currently shared by Albert Belle (September 1995) and Harmon Killebrew (May 1959). Blue Jays starter R.A. Dickey pitched to two batters in the sixth inning before being pulled. He said the team will focus on its positive play over the last few weeks. "Jose makes that play 99 out of 100 times, it was just a real fluke thing," Dickey said. "But we cant second-guess things the way that weve been playing and the way weve been pitching and hitting. I mean, Edwin -- what can you say? "I mean its been fun to watch and to be on a team where so many things are going well and I think itll continue tomorrow. I think this was just kind of a mild hiccup." The American League East-leading Blue Jays fell to 32-23 with the loss. Kansas City starter James Shields worked seven innings and reliever Wade Davis (4-1) pitched two innings for the win. The Royals left 11 batters on base but outhit Toronto 14-9. "I was really pleased with the way we swung the bats tonight," said manager Ned Yost. "We were driving balls. We just had some great at-bats." Salvador Perez hit his fifth homer of the season for the Royals in the second inning and Kansas City added three runs in the fifth. The Royals also loaded the bases with two outs in the seventh inning but Aaron Loup got out of the jam by striking out Alcides Escobar on three pitches. Closer Casey Janssen, who was looking to pick up his ninth save, recorded the first two outs in the ninth before Alex Gordons single. He was replaced by Dyson, who stole second. "We were facing a hot team that had swept their last three teams," Dyson said. "I thought we did a great job to come over here and kind of break that up a little bit and get going." In the 10th, Redmond gave up a single to Escobar to open the inning and Pedro Ciriaco reached when he was beaned while squaring up to bunt. Nori Aoki advanced the runners with a sacrifice bunt. Notes: Announced attendance was 17,978 and the game took three hours 26 minutes to play. ... Encarnacion belted his second homer of the night into the second deck in left field -- virtually the same spot as his first blast. The crowd gave him a standing ovation and he came out of the dugout to tip his hat. ... Bautista threw out Billy Butler from right field for the second out in the ninth inning. ... Torontos J.A. Happ (4-1) is scheduled to start Friday night against fellow left-hander Jason Vargas (4-2). ... The Rogers Centre roof was closed despite comfortable spring conditions outside.Kyle Wright Jersey . Pospisil, the seventh seed, saved match points in each of the last two sets before falling to the unseeded Dutchman. "I wasnt very happy with the way I was playing,"said Pospisil. Adam Duvall Jersey . The Brazilian driver had the second-best time in last months tests at Jerez and said the "good start" could play to his advantage when the season gets underway in Australia in March.(SportsNetwork.com) - Planning to discuss this weekends Super Bowl with a die-hard New York Jets fan? Be prepared to duck. While Sundays game will certainly match two of the most successful men to have ever held the title - albeit briefly - of HC of the NYJ, its probably little solace to those still waiting for Gang Green to return to the seasons biggest game for the first time since the end of the Johnson administration. Of course, Pete Carrolls rise from one-year flop in New Jersey to repeat title contender in Seattle is a bit easier for the East Rutherford brethren to take, considering he was 6-10 in the 1994 season with the Jets and also flamed out after three years in Foxborough before finally hitting his pro sideline stride. I knew Pete was a good coach, former center Jim Sweeney said. It just took him 20 years to prove it. He was ahead of his time. Itd be no different than if Mark Sanchez went on to become an MVP somewhere else. He had his chance in New York. And if he channels Joe Montana in another city, bully for him. When it comes to the guy coaching the other team at University of Phoenix Stadium, though, dont expect the conversation to have quite the same level of empathy. Because while Bill Belichick is hardly a heartthrob to any fan base west of the Massachusetts state line, theres still a unique enmity for him among loyalists to the franchise from which his abrupt, hand-scribbled exit 15 years ago remains a scar. The players, front office and stadium have all changed since Belichick addressed a stunned media horde in January 2000, claiming he was uneasy about an imminent transition following the death of owner Leon Hess - the man whod reserved the head coaching spot for him upon Bill Parcells retirement. But to Jets fans then and now, it wasnt just that he left, it was how he did it. And its no longer just hard feelings; its envy over all the #$#%@$@ success hes had since. I knew we were losing something pretty special, said Victor Green, who played three years under Belichick as an assistant in New York and one under him as head man in New England. I always tell people, Belichick is the best coach at every position in the NFL. Thats how highly I think of him. And lest anyone outside of New York forget, this years recovery from pedestrian 2-2 to dominant 14-4 (including playoffs) isnt exactly the first time Belichicks shown he can make something out of nothing in New England. He was 5-11 in his first year with the Patriots after succeeding Carroll there, then recovered from a 0-2 start the next while riding an unheralded sixth- round QB to a championship. An unheralded sixth-round QB, by the way, that the New York Daily News claimed in October would have been a Jet on draft day had Parcells not overruled veteran scout Jesse Kaye to select cornerback Tony Scott, who ultimately played in all of 23 NFL games before fading to anonymity. Huascar Ynoa Jersey. Anyway, that unheralded QB - a kid named Tom Brady - got his first extended field time the day New York linebacker Mo Lewis put Drew Bledsoe out with a sideline hit in Week 2, and, though the Jets went on to take the game behind Vinny Testaverde, its pretty safe to say the other guys have won the war. Belichick is 21-10 against New York since taking the New England job - including 21-8 with Brady - and the coach/QB duo has won the AFC East in all but two of the 14 years since Bradys ascension to full-time starter, including each and every season since 2003 in which the signal-caller has gone injury-free. Still, its not as if all of Belichicks Patriot achievements have come at the Jets expense. Hes a full 99 games over .500 - 155-56, to be exact - against the rest of the league in 15 regular seasons, has won at least 11 games no fewer than 11 times and has advanced for at least one playoff victory on 10 occasions. The first three of those 10 occasions yielded wins in Super Bowls XXXVI, XXXVIII and XXXIX, before his 16-0 and 13-3 teams were beaten by the New York Giants in XLII and XLVI. He remains the only coach to win three championships in four seasons. Not bad for a guy who, like Carroll, many dismissed as a failure after a five- year run in Cleveland during which he managed just one winning season and ended the stint with a 5-11 record in a 1995 debacle remembered mainly for owner Art Modells decision to move the franchise to Baltimore. Modell had declared two days after the midseason announcement that Bill Belichick will be my head coach in 1996, but he recanted after the team lost six of its final seven games and removed Belichick to clear space for Ted Marchibroda, who lasted three seasons and went 16-31-1. The Browns were his training camp, his boot camp for success, said Mary Kay Cabot, who covered the team for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. There were mistakes he made here on players, personnel, staff (and) public relations. But hes the master of adjustments. He learned how to do it right by everything he did wrong here. He really is brilliant. Belichick spent the next season under Parcells at New England, then followed him for three more years in New York before firing the front-office shot that permanently altered two franchises. And come Sunday, if he manages to succeed Carrolls hold on the Lombardi Trophy the way he succeeded him as coach of the Patriots, itll leave a new mark that Jets fans might feel for another 15 years. What the evidence does show, quite clearly, is that Belichick is not just a good coach but a great coach, NBCSports.com columnist Michael David Smith said. If his team wins (against Seattle), it may be time to proclaim Belichick the best coach ever. ' ' '