Forums » News and Announcements

Some players believe

• September 8, 2019 10:33 PM EDT

DALLAS -- Johny Hendricks won the vacant welterweight championship Saturday night, unanimously outpointing Robbie Lawler in five rounds at UFC 171. Dax McCarty USA Jersey . Tyron Woodley won the co-feature, stopping Carlos Condit to set up a likely title bout against Hendricks in the 170-pound division. Fighting in Hendricks adopted hometown, Lawler opened a cut beside Hendricks right eye in the fourth round. All three judges scored the fight 28-27 for Hendricks. The title was vacated by Georges St. Pierre, who had held it since 2007. In his final defence, St. Pierre took a disputed split decision over Hendricks in November. Would Hendricks feel vindicated if he could fight and defeat St. Pierre? "No, but Id like to. I think Im better now. Im only learning," the 30-year-old said. The 31-year-old Lawler lost the first two rounds, but won the third and fourth before falling short in the final round. "The fifth round. Thats where I lost it in the GSP fight," Hendricks said. "I nearly died again. I was sitting there thinking, Not another GSP. I was thinking, Please call my name." The announcer did. Hendricks improved to 16-2, and Lawler fell to 22-10 with one no contest. "When you leave it up to the judges, thats what happens. I just didnt do enough to win," Lawler said. Hendricks background as a two-time NCAA wrestling champion at Oklahoma State helped him take down Lawler twice. "Wrestling is part of our sport," Lawler said. "Ive wrestled with some high-level guys." Hendricks and Lawler fought cautiously in the first round. Midway through the second, Hendricks landed a succession of punches and kicks. Lawler rallied in the closing minute. Woodley, 31, competed for the University of Missouri against Hendricks and OSU. "Me and Johny have some unfinished business from Big 12 days of wrestling," Woodley said. Woodleys bout ended two minutes into the second round after his leg kick behind Condits left knee caused his right knee to buckle. Condit fell to the octagon floor in pain, and hobbled out of the arena. Woodley is 13-2. "You know whats next," Woodley said. "The title. If I can get to (Condit) and beat him, I can be the world champion." All but the title bout were scheduled for three five-minute rounds. Also on the main card, welterweight Hector Lombard dominated the bloody Jake Shields, winning by unanimous decision. Shields lost a title bout to St. Pierre in 2011. It took light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux just 1:29 to win by submission with a Von Flue choke against Nikita Krylov. Lightweight Myles Jury, who has won all 14 of his professional bouts, took a unanimous decision over Diego Sanchez. Among the prelims, Alex Garcia of Montreal took a fiercely contested welterweight split decision over Dallas Sean Spencer. Kelvin Gastelum opened a cut on Rick Storys left cheek in each round on the way to a split decision in a welterweight fight. In the only womens bout, bantamweight Jessica Andrade of Niteroi, Brazil, won a split decision against Raquel Pennington. Wil Trapp USA Jersey .J. -- Rampage Jackson scowled, howled, then bellowed to the crowd: "Im back! Im back!" With rebuilt knees and a new promotion, Jackson might have one more act left in MMA. Tim Howard USA Jersey . Lawries batting helmet hit an umpire during his ninth-inning outburst in the Jays 4-3 loss to Tampa Bay on Tuesday. The 22-year-old threw his helmet to the ground and it bounced up and hit home plate umpire Bill Miller on the right hip after Lawrie was called out on strikes for the second out.(SportsNetwork.com) - The Buffalo Sabres have gotten more than adequate goaltending through their first three games, but a lack of goal scoring has left the club winless. The Sabres try to avoid their first 0-4 start in franchise history on Tuesday night as they play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning. You can watch the game on TSN2 at 7:30pm et/4:30pm pt and follow along with our GameTracker. Buffalo has been outscored 7-2 in three losses to begin the season. Ryan Miller stopped 77-of-80 shots faced through the first two games, but did not dress in Saturdays 4-1 setback to the Pittsburgh Penguins due to a lower-body injury. Jhonas Enroth got the start in Millers place and made 31 saves on 34 shots faced. Thomas Vanek had the only goal for the Sabres, who are off to their worst start since beginning the 1999-2000 campaign 0-5 with a pair of ties. They are 0-for-13 on the power play this season. "Our goalies have stood on their head all three games and its unfortunate that we cant be better in front of them to kind of limit some of their shots and some of their chances," said Sabres defenseman Mike Weber. "Again, it all comes down to us finding a way to get some offense going, generate some offense and bear down and score goals." Miller did not practice on Monday and itt is unknown if he will be able to dress for tonights game. Justin Morrow Jersey. However, forward Marcus Foligno is expected to play for the first time since suffering an upper-body injury in a Sept. 22 preseason game. Foligno had 18 points in 47 games a season ago. The Lightning have split their first two games of this season and used a late rally to best the Chicago Blackhawks 3-2 in a shootout on Saturday. Martin St. Louis and Teddy Purcell scored less than two minutes apart just past the midway point of the third period and Valtteri Filppula scored in the first round of the shootout. Ben Bishop stopped all three skaters he faced in the tiebreaker to secure the win after posting 37 saves through overtime. It was certainly a slow start for the Lightning, who did not log a shot in the first period and got outshot 39-16 in the game. "We weathered the storm," Bolts forward Steven Stamkos said. "Our goalie made some big saves. He kept us in the game. Thats kind of the way this league goes." Tampa Bay wraps its season-opening three-game road trip tonight and will kick off a seven-game stay at home on Thursday. The Lightning have lost three of their past four versus the Sabres, who snapped a two-game slide in Tampa with a 3-1 victory last season. ' ' '