Forums » Suggestions

nday in St. Louis (TSN Jets

• January 15, 2020 3:21 AM EST

Rory McIlroy’s WGC-Dell Match Play title defence got off to a shaky start as the world No 3 snatched a narrow victory over Thorbjorn Olesen. Carter Rowney Jersey . Latest results WGC-Dell Match Play results McIlroy found himself two holes down with five holes to play in Austin but capitalised on a series of errors from the Dane over the closing stretch to claim a 1up win at the last.The win sees McIlroy join Kevin Na at the top of the group three table, on a day where Jason Day and Jordan Spieth also opened with victories. McIlroy, who defeated Gary Woodland to win last years title, fell behind when Olesen holed a 12-footer at the second and went two down after failing to save par from eight feet at the fourth. McIlroy got in to trouble at the eighth as he carded a bogey The Northern Irishman responded by birdieing the next from close range, before moving back all-square by saving par at the short seventh.A wayward approach in to the par-five next saw McIlroy drop a shot and hand Olesen the advantage back, with the Dane moving two clear when the Northern Irishman found the water and conceded the 13th.McIlroy clawed a hole back with a kick-in par at the 14th and got back level when Olesen three-putted the next from the fringe, before the pair both missed birdie opportunities at the par-5 16th. Olesen missed out on at least a halve with a final-hole bogey After the duo exchanged pars at the 17th, Olesen sliced his chip from the greenside rough and conceded the hole as McIlroy was left with a close-range two-putt for the win. Elsewhere, Day overcame a back injury to defeat Graeme McDowell 3&2, while Spieth raced three up inside the opening six holes on his way to a 3&2 win over Ryder Cup winner Jamie Donaldson.Thomas Pieters birdied two of his final three holes to snatch a halve against recent back-to-back PGA Tour winner Adam Scott, as fifth seed Rickie Fowler suffered a shock loss to compatriot Jason Dufner. Jason Dufner (left) got his week off to a winning start by beating Rickie Fowler A missed par-save from six feet by Shane Lowry at the penultimate hole gave Martin Kaymer a narrow 1up win, while Sergio Garcia edged a rollercoaster all-European contest by the same margin against Lee Westwood.Garcia lost four holes in a row before winning four of his own around the turn, before holding on to victory with a 12-foot par at the last. It was very, very funny, Garcia told Sky Sports. We halved just three holes in the whole 18. Lee said to me on 17, We are gelling well! It would have been better in a fourball.It was very up and down. I started very well and he hit a couple of poor shots, then he got on a great run and the last three or four holes he was making birdie or I was. Im very happy with the putt I made on 18 to get the win. Jordan Spieth was pleased with his 3&2 victory over Jamie Donaldson in tricky conditions A final-hole birdie helped Patton Kizzire snatch a share of the spoils with Bubba Watson, while Open Champion Zach Johnson and Ryder Cup hopeful Andy Sullivan kicked-off their tournament with convincing victories.Matt Kuchar posted the biggest win of the day by thrashing Anirban Lahiri 6&5, while Matt Fitzpatrick was unable to win a single hole during his 5&4 loss to Phil Mickelson. Rory McIlroy admits he was fortunate to beat Thorbjorn Olesen at the WGC - Dell Match Play I got off to a good start and any time I got in to trouble, my short game bailed me out, Kuchar told Sky Sports. Then every putt that was makeable I seemed to make today.Watch the WGC-Dell Match Play throughout the week live on Sky Sports 4 - your home of golf. Day two coverage begins on Wednesday from 6pm.  Also See: WGC latest leaderboard Day strains back in victory WATCH: Wiesberger chips in! Golf live on Sky Sports 4 Patrick Eaves Jersey . -- The Grand Rapids Griffins scored three goals in 33 seconds of the second period en route to defeating the Hamilton Bulldogs 6-1 in American Hockey League action on Friday. Lubomir Visnovsky Jersey . 25 against Miami. Hillis left Browns Stadium about two hours before kickoff, a decision that has led to speculation he was upset over ongoing negotiations with the club on a contract extension.Vancouver Canucks 3 at Winnipeg Jets 2 (SO) - It was the fifth time in eight games that the Jets have gone to overtime (1-2-2), and their 38th one-goal game of the year. The game started a stretch of five of six at home, and a difficult stretch of four in six nights, with the New York Rangers in Winnipeg Friday, and then back to back games, home to Dallas Sunday and in St. Louis Monday. Vancouver is now four points back of Dallas, the Jets five. The game was the 1,000th for Henrik Sedin and the 599th for Andrew Ladd. The first period was scoreless with the Canucks outshooting the Jets 14-9 and both Ondrej Pavelec and Eddie Lack were forced to make a number of good saves. Penalties were the story of the first as the Jets were shorthanded three times, the Canucks twice. The Canucks built momentum off three straight power plays. Andrew Ladd opened the scoring at 3:48 of the second, beating Lack high blocker from the slot, on a tape to tape pass from Bryan Little. Jacob Trouba also drew an assist. For Ladd, it was his 18th of the year and for Little his team-leading 53rd point of the year. At 9:01 of the period Evander Kane was awarded a penalty shot but fired it over the net. A face-off win and a fortunate bounce led to the Canucks goal that tied the game. A shot from the point went off a leg to an open Alexandre Burrows who scored his first of the year. Canucks outshot the Jets 10-7 in the second. Jets came out firing in the third, outshooting the Canucks 16-5. Michael Frolik redirected a pass from Olli Jokinen past Lack to restore the one goal lead for the Jets at 2:18. Keaton Ellerby also picked up an assist on the goal, Froliks 13th of the year. The Jets pressed for the two-goal lead but Lack was equal to the task leading to the tying goal, again by Burrows, and again a strange one. Andrew Cogliano Jersey. Jannik Hansen got his stick on a pass in behind the Jets net, it deflected up in the air and over the net to the front of the goal where Burrows batted it out of mid-air to make it a 2-2 game and forcing overtime. The five minute overtime went without a whistle with chances at both ends, but no goals. Final shots were 34-33 in favour of the Jets and it was off to the shootout - that went as follows: Setoguchi no, Burrows no, Ladd no, Jensen no, Jokinen no, Chris Higgins yes.Trouba again led the Jets in ice time with a career high of 27:43. Toby Enstrom was next at 25:54, Blake Wheeler led all forwards at 23:44, Ladd 23:34. Zack Bogosian had five shots on goal. Jets were five for five on the PK and zero for four on the PP.For Paul Maurice, it was another frustrating game on a night his team needed two points and played well enough to get two points. “Its like any 2-2 hockey game. Theres going to be parts where you dont really like it. I thought we had control, a little loose in the neutral zone at times, a couple problems getting the puck out but they had the exact same game. We hemmed them in at times and up 16 in the third, so we werent sitting back, we were going. Its a loss because of the shootout. The compete was there but at the end of the day you have to win. From the start of the third we carried it, played well enough to go ahead 3-1.” Friday vs New York Rangers (TSN Jets, TSN 1290), Sunday vs Dallas (TSN Jets, TSN 1290), Monday in St. Louis (TSN Jets, TSN 1290.) ' ' '