Forums » Support

battle with heart disease. Ne

• January 14, 2020 3:48 AM EST

WINNIPEG -- With injuries already becoming an issue for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, coach Mike OShea had his players doing a little yoga Wednesday to stretch their muscles at the end of practice. Chris Wormley Jersey . "It does concern me because Im responsible for player safety too," he said. "Its a response to what I noticed. There werent enough guys stretching after practice. If theyre not taking it upon themselves to do the right thing then Im going to coach them to do the right thing." Cory Watson just returned to the field this week after a hamstring injury he suffered on opening day of training camp this season. "Its football," said the teams top Canadian receiver. "Injuries are going to happen in any sport so youve got to be prepared for those things and be patient and hopefully things work out." OShea had nothing but praise for the way Watson plays football but says he may at some point discuss what he does in the off-season and other things that might help with injuries. "I cant tell you what he did all off-season and what he does (for conditioning) during the season i just know one thing. He plays football the way it should be played and with that there are ramifications." The coach got linebacker Ian Wild to lead the stretch since he does the same thing anyway every day after practice, but OShea says there is only so much players can do in the off-season. "Its virtually impossible to be in game shape come training camp," he said. "The only way to get in game shape is to play those games." He says the intense physical contact cant be simulated during the off-season. Many might argue it wouldnt be a great idea even if it could, since thats where injuries happen. Watson, 30, a native of Dollard des Ormeaux, Que, has missed a lot of games in his four previous seasons with the Bombers yet shines as their best Canadian receiver when hes on the field. He appeared in just 11 games in 2013 but still caught 36 passes for 516 yards and ranked third on the teams receivers list. His best year was his second with the team. In 2011 he caught 69 passes for 793 yards and he says he thinks he can beat that. In his 45 starts over four seasons he has four times exceeded the 100-yard mark. "I think I can do better than what I did in my second year," he suggests. "This year I have a role that demands a lot so I have to make sure Im in there, thats the most important thing. I have to make those plays happen." Watson is also a force on special teams and says thats a role he loves as well. He hasnt had much time to work out with the teams four quarterbacks so far but says he has studied lots of film and will be able to get his timing down. "The most important thing for me right now is trying to get my conditioning in," he said as the Bombers prepare to open the regular season at home June 26 when they host he Toronto Argonauts. "Thats the focus right now. Timing is going to come." Defensive back Johnny Sears also returned from the injury list this week. But there were plenty of other players on the sidelines, including promising new Canadian receiver Julian Feoli-Gudino. Marquise Brown Jersey .B. -- Canadas Rachel Homan had ideal preparation for the playoffs at the Ford World Curling Championships with a pair of hard-fought wins over tenacious opponents Thursday. Orlando Brown Jr. Jersey . Masahiro Tanaka has touched down in the United States and the courting of the Rakuten Golden Eagles stud pitcher has begun in earnest by a bevy of MLB teams interested in the Japanese ace.DALLAS - Robert Newhouse, who played running back for the Dallas Cowboys for 12 seasons and went to three Super Bowls, has died. He was 64. Newhouses son, Rodd Newhouse, says his father died Tuesday at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, after a battle with heart disease. Newhouse had suffered a stroke in 2010. The burly running back was drafted by the Cowboys in 1972 out of the University of Houston, where he ran for 1,757 yards as a senior, a school record that still stands. Newhouse ran for 4,784 yards in his career with Dallas. He retired in 1983 after playing in three Super Bowls with some of the Cowboys greatest teams, including the 1976 NFL champions. In the 1977 Super Bowl victory against Denver, Newhouse threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Golden Richards on a halfback option to help seal the win. Ronnie Stanley Jersey. Newhouse was born in Longview and went to Galilee High School in Hallsville before enrolling at Houston. All three Cougars teams he played on finished the season ranked in The Associated Press Top 20. He was taken in the second round of the draft by Dallas. He led the Cowboys in rushing in 1975 with 930 yards, but became most well known as a fullback leading the way for future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, who Dallas drafted in 1977. Newhouse is survived by his wife, Nancy, daughters, Dawnyel and Shawntel, and sons Rodd and Reggie, who played for the Arizona Cardinals in 2004-05. ' ' '