Forums » Suggestions

pezza and the Ottawa Senato

• 68 posts
    January 12, 2020 10:18 PM EST

OTTAWA -- Like everyone else Paul MacLean was surprised by Daniel Alfredssons decision to sign with the Detroit Red Wings, but the Ottawa Senators head coach says its time to move forward. Dale Murphy Jersey . "I was disappointed like everybody," MacLean said Friday afternoon. "At the same time Daniels earned the right to make that decision and hes made it and moved on and were moving on. Were going to progress without him." MacLean believes the Senators have enough leadership within its current group of players to fill any void left behind by Alfredssons absence. "Its a great opportunity for a number of our players to step into that leadership void and show they can be a bigger part of the team than maybe theyve been in the past," MacLean said. "Its not just one guy thats going to step up, one guy will represent as Daniel did with the captaincy, but leadership isnt just a one person thing or a three person thing its an everybody thing. With me its everybody and thats still going to be the expectation." MacLean says he wants a captain that "does it right every day and is a good representative of the team." "But the most important thing is you have to be here every day and you have to do it right," he added. The two most likely candidates are Jason Spezza and Chris Phillips. Both have been alternate captains and are well respected by their peers and the coaching staff. There is no set timeline as to when a new captain will be selected as MacLean plans on conducting some due diligence. Players in consideration will be spoken to, management and coaching staff will be asked for input. Players will not be given a vote as to who they feel should be the next captain. "The process that (general manager Bryan Murray) and I and my coaching staff have to go through is sifting through it and finding whos going to be the best guy to represent the whole group," MacLean said. In addition to Alfredsson, the Senators made a number of other changes to its roster, most notably the addition of Bobby Ryan. "He brings to us someone thats a bona fide guy thats scored 35 goals in the league," MacLean said. "He shoots the puck in the net and thats something we havent had here since Ive been here. "Having someone with that ability certainly should help our confidence as a team as far as it comes to scoring goals." The Senators struggled offensively last year averaging 2.33 goals-per-game to finish 27th in the league. Ryan will be counted on to boost those numbers. While its anticipated that Ryan will play alongside Spezza, MacLean says chemistry will have a lot to do with how lines are made. Ryan could play with Spezza, Kyle Turris or even Mika Zibanejad. Heading into camp it doesnt appear that the Senators have a lot of room for change, but MacLean has always been an ardent believer that the best players play. The Senators rookies will take part in a four-team rookie tournament starting next week and MacLean says close consideration will be given to anyone who manages to excel when given the opportunity. Following the rookie camp a number of players will be invited to take part in the main camp and things will sort themselves out through performance. "Were going to play eight exhibition games and were going to sort out who the best players are or theyre going to sort it out themselves actually and the best 23 guys are going to stay here and play," said MacLean. "If youre not one of those 23 guys then well have to make arrangements for them to play wherever that has to be, no matter what the circumstances are. The best players are going to be here and play." Despite a rash of devastating injuries last season the Senators advanced to the second round of the playoffs last season ,where they eventually lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in five games. MacLean knows fans will be looking for much the same. "Consistency is the hardest thing to do and the best way to success is to be consistent and if were consistent then I think the (fans) are going to like where we are," he said. Satchel Paige Jersey . John Albert Elway, 24, was booked into jail early Saturday morning after an incident near a college campus in downtown Denver, according to jail records. Huascar Ynoa Jersey . - No matter the lineup or location, the San Antonio Spurs are rolling through the NBA again this spring, just the way they have for most of the last two decades.With two days to go until Wednesdays 3pm et deadline, theres some trade speculation surrounding Jason Spezza and the Ottawa Senators. Sources tell TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger that the team is quietly gauging interest on the Senators captain, though Spezza has a limited no-trade clause and carries a large contract. The news comes amidst other reports that the Senators have been searching for a winger to play with him. However, general manager Bryan Murray says he has not talked about the 30-year-old centre. "I had one guy ask if I want to comment to quiet the rumours and I said, No. Im not going to ... The more I say about itt the more its going to be played over and over in the next couple of days," Murray told reporters in Vancouver, where the Senators beat the Canucks 4-2 in the Heritage Classic on Sunday. Babe Ruth Jersey Large. nbsp;"Ill just say we have not talked, at this point in time, about Jason Spezza." Spezza, who was named captain last fall after the departure of free agent Daniel Alfredsson, has one year remaining on his current deal which pays him $4 million next season - but with a $7 million cap hit. The team signed him to a seven-year, $49 million contract in 2007. He has 15 goals and 46 points in 56 games this season. ' ' '