Forums » Support

looked at his age and increasing salary, an

• January 3, 2020 3:30 AM EST

BUFFALO, N. Bryan Abreu Jersey .Y. -- With Jim Calhoun watching from the stands, Shabazz Napier capped Connecticut coach Kevin Ollies first NCAA tournament appearance with a win. Shaking off a 23-foot miss at the second-half buzzer, Napier scored nine of his 24 points in overtime to lead seventh-seeded UConn (27-8) to an 89-81 win over 10th-seeded Saint Josephs (24-10) in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Thursday night. DeAndre Daniels scored 18 while freshman centre Amida Brimah forced overtime by completing a three-point play in the final minute. It was a big victory for Ollie, who took over two years ago after Calhoun was forced to step down because of health issues. After the Huskies won three national titles in 26 seasons under Calhoun, Ollie became the first UConn coach to lead the program to a tournament berth since Dom Perno in 1979. And it came a year after Connecticut was barred from post-season play because of academic sanctions. Langston Galloway scored 25 points for Saint Josephs (24-10). The Hawks wore down because of a lack of depth, and then lost their top forward Halil Kanacevic, who fouled out early into overtime. The Huskies advance to play Saturday, when theyll face the winner of an East Region game between No. 2 seed Villanova and No. 15 Milwaukee. With the game tied at 70 entering overtime, Daniels opened the scoring by completed a three-point play with 3:47 left during a 5-minute period the Huskies never trailed. Napier then scored seven straight points -- five of them coming from the line -- to put the Huskies up 82-74 with 55 seconds remaining. The game turned in the final minute of regulation and after Hawks guard Chris Wilson hit two free throws to put Saint Joes up 70-67 with 49.2 seconds left. Napier missed on a drive at the other end, but Brimah got the rebound to the left of the basket, and was fouled while putting it back. He tied the game by hitting the free throw. Taking over with 39 seconds left, the Hawks never got a shot off on what became their final possession of regulation. Galloway twice lost the ball on the dribble, but got it back both times, before launching a desperation shot that hit off the side of the backboard as the shot clock expired. With 2.7 seconds left, the Huskies made two nifty passes to get the ball to Napier on the fly, who pulled up just before the 3-point line and had his shot hit off the rim. Losing Kanacevic was a costly blow for the Hawks, who have little depth beyond their starting five. Kanacevic finished with 12 points and seven rebounds. Freshman DeAndre Bembry scored 16 points for a Hawks team that won the Atlantic 10 tournament title last weekend. After hitting 13 of their first 20 baskets, the Hawks offence cooled. Saint Joes went 10 of 22 in the second half, and finished the game going 27 of 54. The Huskies were coming off a 71-61 loss to Louisville in the American Athletic Conference title game on Saturday. Theyve now won 10 of their past three, with two of those losses coming against Louisville. The opening nine minutes of the game featured eight lead changes before the Hawks eventually broke the game open by building a 37-27 lead with 3:09 left, when DeAndre Bembry hit two free throws. The Hawks hit 13 of their first 20 attempts and were up 40-32 before UConns Ryan Boatright hit a 3-point basket with 8 seconds left. Will Harris Jersey . A groundswell for raising the number of playoff qualifiers to seven in each conference figures to get plenty of support from the 32 owners. Most notably, Arizonas Bill Bidwill, who saw his Cardinals go 10-6 and not get in, while Green Bay (8-7-1) qualified by winning the NFC North. Mike Scott Jersey . - Erick Torres scored his 10th goal of the season on a stunning volley, and Chivas USA edged 10-man Real Salt Lake 1-0 on Saturday night.CLEVELAND -- For eight seasons, DQwell Jackson did everything for the Browns. He overcame serious injuries to play at a high level. He led the team tackles. He became a locker room leader, showing the way for younger players. And, he did it all without complaint despite almost constant losing and change in Cleveland. Jacksons run ended Wednesday. The Browns released the veteran linebacker, cutting ties with one of their most popular players due a $4.1 million roster bonus next month. The 31-year-old Jackson, who made 96 starts in eight seasons with the Browns, is now a free agent and can sign with any team. Jacksons agents and Clevelands revamped front office tried to restructure his contract, but couldnt come to terms and decided to part ways. "We had positive discussion with DQwell and his agent over the last several days, and we came to the mutual agreement to go in different directions," said Browns general manager Ray Farmer, who was promoted into that role last month and had to make a tough decision on Jackson. "DQwell is the epitome of class, leadership and professionalism. Every day of his NFL career, DQwell has been a solid representative of the Browns and the city of Cleveland, both between the lines on Sundays and off the field in our area community. "We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavours." Jackson overcame two serious chest injuries earlier in his career. He missed most of two seasons, but recovered and was a mainstay on Clevelands defence despite playing under four head coaches and four defensiive co-ordinators. Jeff Bagwell Jersey Large. He signed a five-year, $42.5 million contract extension last year through 2016. The deal, which included $19 million in guarantees and bonuses, would have paid Jackson $3.93 million this season. He was set to make $7.73 million and $7 million the next two seasons. However, the Browns looked at his age and increasing salary, and although theyve got room under the salary cap, decided to make the change. The team wants to get younger, stronger and faster in its linebacking corps and Jackson no longer fit into their plans. Near the end of last season, Jackson said he would be "shocked" if he didnt come back. But now that the day has arrived, he can get a fresh start elsewhere. He thanked the Browns and their fans in a statement. "To the people of Cleveland and Browns fans everywhere: Eight years ago I began a journey that blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of a wonderful organization and community," Jackson said. "I want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. Its been an honour playing in front of you. I also would like to thank the Browns players, coaches and staff for their tireless work and commitment. "From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all and will always carry you with me. For opening your arms and hearts to my family and me, and for making Cleveland an easy place to love and call home. Its been an honour playing in front of you." ' ' '