Forums » News and Announcements

Staggering sales of pull-tab tickets in N.L.

• 1437 posts
    April 1, 2023 3:53 AM EDT

Staggering sales of pull-tab tickets in N.L.

People in Newfoundland and Labrador appear to have a love affair with pull tabs, or break-open tickets, according to the Atlantic Lottery Corporation.Get more news about china pull tab tickets,you can vist our website!

The tickets are for sale everywhere, including at bingo halls across the province. In some cases, the tickets are responsible for long lineups in convenience stores.ALC says in Newfoundland and Labrador, $85 million was spent on pull-tab tickets in 2015-2016. At between 50 cents and $1 per ticket, that adds up to a total of about 138 million break-open tickets sold in one year.

Overall, the money spent on pull-tab tickets is just a part of the $148.5 million people in this province spent on lottery in the last year.

Those numbers, in the ALC's annual report released earlier this week, shows Newfoundland and Labrador outspending all the other Atlantic provinces.For some people, the pull-tabs and other lottery purchases can feel like an addiction — but for others, it's an opportunity to win using loose change.

"If you got a few dollars in your pocket," said another store customer Jessica Peach, when asked by CBC why she buys the tickets.

"Just that chance of buying a few break opens and you might have a chance of winning an extra few dollars."Waste of money. I got better stuff to spend my money on," said Michael Fowler, who spoke to CBC outside Flower Hill Convenience in St. John's.

"For instance, a dozen beer. And I got my job and I don't have to lose my job over an addiction," he added.

At PJ's Convenience in St. John's, counter clerk Kathy King isn't surprised to hear so much money has been spent in this province on break-open tickets.King adds in some cases, the majority of people buying and peeling the pull-tab tickets open spend a lot of time — and money — at the counter, with no winnings to show for it.