Forums » Suggestions

Yankees Montgomery Stifled Sox With Care

• 358 posts
    December 4, 2022 6:01 AM EST

NEW YORK After getting roughed up by the Orioles in his previous start, Jordan Montgomery was at a lo s for words.The left-hander gave up five runs in three innings to a last-place team, a frustrating regre sion for the hurler after working through an early-season slump.Facing the star-studded White Sox on Friday night, the odds were stacked against Montgomery. Chicago entered play with the best average and OPS against left-handed pitchers in all of baseball.Instead of Mike Williams Jersey falling victim to a team that devours left-handed pitching, however, Montgomery spun an absolute gem.Under the lights in the Bronx, the southpaw twirled seven scorele s innings while allowing four scattered base hits. Montgomery also recorded 11 strikeouts, setting a new career-high.Although he didn't factor into the decisionas it was one of the best performances of Montgomery's career."That's more what I expect out of myself," Montgomery said after the game. "Go out Los Angeles Chargers Home Office there, set the tone, give our team a chance and we won a game so it was a fun one tonight."It didn't take long for Montgomery to prove he had his stuff working on Friday night. Using all five of his pitches at least 12 times, the left-hander got Chicago to swing and mi s 17 times."He was on the attack, he was in control," manager Aaron Boone said. "Really exciting outing for Monty and obviously we needed every bit of it."Scroll to Kenneth Murray Jr. Jersey ContinueBoone added that Montgomery's curveball was particularly effective, a pitch he used for six of his strikeouts. Montgomery recalled that early on Chicago waschasing the pitch as it dropped off a table down to the dirt below the zone. That's why he leaned on Keenan Allen T Shirts the pitch throughout, throwing it a game-high 26 times.Montgomery said his curveball was the best it's been all season.On the other side, left-hander Carlos Rodn was even more impre sive. The southpaw also set a new career-high with 13 punch outs over six frames, permitting just two base knocks.Friday night was the first game in the Modern Era in which both starting pitchers had 10+ strikeouts while allowing no walks and no runs, according to Nasir Adderley Jersey .Asked how much sweeter his performance was knowing Rodn was also dealing, the left-hander said he was just happy to pick up his teammates."They know I've always got their back," he said. "I'm relieved to get the job done. I believed in myself fully and I executed pitches."MORE: