Forums » News and Announcements

Best Bike Accessories for Those Who Plan to Ride All Summer

• 2863 posts
    November 27, 2022 8:49 PM EST

Best Bike Accessories for Those Who Plan to Ride All Summer

All products featured on Condé Nast Traveler are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.To get more news about ebike accessories, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.

Bicycles are endlessly customizable, with all sorts of bike accessories available to make your rides more comfortable, practical, and safe, whether commuting, exploring the local rail trail, or pedaling through a brand new city. And for those new to the cycling world, having the right tools and gear can make you feel truly independent on your bike. I still remember getting my first flat tire in a park miles from home: I pulled my repair kit from my under-saddle bag and told myself, “You’ve got this.”

While a helmet is a must-have, other bicycle accessories are optional, letting you pick and choose based on your type of riding and convenience needs. Ahead, discover 17 of the best bike accessories, from bottle cages to tire pumps, to consider adding to your setup. (And if you're still deciding on which bike to ride, we've got a guide for you here.)
    Giro Agilis MIPS
    It’s a no-brainer: Wear the bucket. All bike helmets sold in the U.S. must meet safety standards set by the Consumer Products Safety Commission, so differences come down to fit (most come in small, medium, and large sizes), coverage, ventilation, style, and aerodynamics. Look for a dial-in back to fine-tune the fit and provide added comfort for long rides.
    2. Commuter helmet
    Bern Brentwood 2.0 MIPS Helmet
    With a look borrowed from skate culture, this commuter/fitness helmet doesn’t have much ventilation, but it’s super comfy and has a mount for an optional rear light, helpful if you plan to pedal around at night or early in the morning.
    Octal X Spin
    This do-it-all bike helmet has more coverage to deflect off-road debris and low branches, along with excellent air flow, and patented ‘spin’ pads designed to better protect in a crash. Silicone grippers let you secure your sunglasses when you're not wearing them.
    4. Bike pump

Bontrager Charger Floor Pump
    Unless you want to be trotting to the bike shop every time your tires are low (believe me, you don’t), get a home floor pump. Look for dual valve heads to fit both Schrader (found on mountain, hybrid, and cruiser bikes) and Presta valves (road, gravel, and other skinny-tire bikes). The Bontrager Charger floor pump has a dual head for both major valve types, plus an easy-to-read gauge. I like the base flange, which lets you hold it down with your foot while pumping.
    5. Bike lock

Kryptonite New-U KryptoLok Standard U-Lock with Cable
    If you want to horrify yourself, cue up some ‘bike theft’ videos on YouTube and see how easy it is for someone to steal your beloved road bike or mountain bike. A U-type lock, like Kryptonite's KryptoLok, can be mounted to your frame for storage. Register for Kryptonite’s anti-theft service and if your lock is broken, the company will reimburse you up to $7,000 (depending on which lock you buy). My own Kryptonite lock has lasted forever and hasn’t been cracked yet. The extra cable lock is handy for securing easy-to-steal accessories, too.
    6. Tire repair kit

Lezyne Twin Kit Bicycle C02 & Tire Repair Kit
    A flat tire turns your happy ride into a huge headache. I don’t go anywhere without a spare tube, CO2 cartridge, and inflator tool. With a little practice at home, learn to fix your own flat in the field—or be a hero and come to the rescue of a fellow cyclist. Lezyne's twin bicycle CO2 and tire patch kit is well-designed and compact; tuck it into a pocket or secure it under your saddle. Just add a spare tube that fits your tire (check the sidewall to see the bike tire's size).