Forums » Suggestions

couple of days, and I felt like we

• November 27, 2019 2:53 AM EST

THE WOODLANDS, Texas -- Bernhard Langer birdied the final six holes for a share of the lead with Bart Bryant on Friday in the Champions Tours Insperity Invitational. Tim McCarver Cardinals Jersey . Langer matched Bryant at 6-under 66 at The Woodlands Country Club. Langer won the 2007 event at Augusta Pines and successfully defended his title in 2008 at The Woodlands. The 56-year-old German player won the season-opening event in Hawaii for his 19th Champions Tour title and has 20 straight under-par rounds. The birdie streak tied Dan Forsmans 2009 tournament record. "You want to keep going," Langer said. "I was sad the day was over. I wouldve liked to try a few more holes to make a few more birdies." Bryant won the Dicks Sporting Goods Open last year for his lone victory on the 50-and-over tour. He rebounded from a bogey on the par-5 13th with three straight birdies. "I felt like it was a real anomaly, but then to hit a really good iron shot and salvage the bogey was pretty big," he said. "That kept my spirits up." Defending champion Esteban Toledo was a stroke back. Last year, he became the first Mexican winner in Champions Tour history, beating Mike Goodes with a par on the third hole of a playoff. "I just have to get used to the position where Im at," Toledo said. "Im not scared. Ive played on the tour against Tiger in front of 50,000 people. Maybe more than that. Im not afraid to lose. I might lose but Im not afraid." Toledo, who moved to The Woodlands after last years tournament, said he is still in a whirlwind from that win. "To be honest with you, I cant believe I see my pictures on those little badges," he said. "Its funny to me. Ive never seen anything like that. It kind of got me going." Woodlands resident Jeff Maggert, Fred Funk and Joe Daley shot 68. Maggert won in Mississippi in March in his first start on the 50-and-over tour. Funk won the 2012 event and the 1992 Houston Open on the course. Fred Couples, the 2010 winner and a former University of Houston player, had a 69. He won in March in Newport Beach, Calif. Miles Mikolas Cardinals Jersey . -- A year ago, Flavia Pennetta was close to retiring from tennis. Jose Martinez Jersey . Keenum will make his first appearance in a regular-season game against the rugged defence of the undefeated Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium, where the fans just set a Guinness record as the noisiest outdoor stadium in the world.RALEIGH, N.C. -- Jordan McRae flew in to throw down a dunk on the break and increase Tennessees big first-half lead, then came down the floor to scream triumphantly toward the orange-clad fans near the court. Confident? Check. Enthusiastic? Yep. Maybe playing in the First Four to get the jitters out wasnt such a bad thing for these Volunteers after all. Jarnell Stokes scored a career-high 26 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to help Tennessee beat Massachusetts 86-67 on Friday in the second round of the NCAA Midwest Regional, earning the programs most lopsided win in the tournament in seven years. Now 11th-seeded Tennessee faces 14th-seeded Mercer, which beat No. 3 seed Duke 78-71 on Friday, in the third round on Sunday. The game is a rematch of an NIT game won by Mercer at Tennessee last year. "We didnt come into this tournament saying, OK, if we beat UMass we can play Duke. Not at all," Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin said. "Our guys understand that its one game at a time. Anything happens this time of year." McRae added 21 points for the Volunteers (23-12), who had little trouble with the sixth-seeded Minutemen (24-9) in a surprisingly one-sided performance. Tennessee shot 54 per cent from the field, led by 20 points before halftime and used another strong defensive performance to shut down UMass. "We just wanted to keep our foot on the gas the whole time," McRae said. With that mentality, Martins club is building momentum at the right time of the season. "They understand and I guess they realize when you defend at the level were capable of defending at, these are the results behind it," Martin said. "Theyve really bought into it and embraced the fact that we can defend the way we defend because you can still score the ball, but scoring is a lot better when you can defend like this. "Theyre just playing with confidence as a team. Everybody understands their role and just wants to win as a family." The Volunteers had missed the past two tournaments and squeaked into this years field of 68, earning a trip to Dayton, Ohio to face Iowa in the First Four. But they controlled the boards and dominated the overtime to beat the Hawkeyes 78-65 in the programs first NCAA game since Bruce Pearls final game as coach in 2011. Martin had said he thought the win helped his Vols get the jitters out -- they didnt score until 6 minutes into that one -- while also giving them a taste of tournament intensity by fighting through a tough game. Ken Boyer Jersey. He was right. Tennessee protected the ball against UMass pressure by committing three first-half turnovers, while Stokes and McRae led an offence that shot 52 per cent in the first half and kept coming up with press-breaking answers to turn away every spurt. "The Iowa game, we were just getting our feet wet, first time being here," said Jeronne Maymon, who had 11 points and 11 rebounds for Tennessee. "Then it was time to get down to playing basketball." This was Tennessees biggest margin of victory in an NCAA game since beating Long Beach State 121-86 in the 2007 first round, which came near the start of a six-year run of tournament appearances under Pearl. Stokes 14 rebounds tied the school record for an NCAA tournament game, equaling the mark set by Isiah Victor in 1999 and Reggie Johnson in 1980. Throw in Maymons performance, and it marked the first time the Vols had multiple double-doubles in an NCAA game since 1977. Chaz Williams and Maxie Esho scored 12 points each for UMass in its first NCAA appearance since 1998. But the Minutemen fell behind by double figures early, trailed by 19 at halftime and never got closer than 10 again. "We had a couple of great practices the past couple of days, and I felt like we were going to come out great," Williams said. "But once get under these lights and the crowd starts roaring, you start second-guessing." UMass came in averaging 76 points and shooting 46 per cent, but finished well short of those numbers with much of its production coming after the Vols had seized control. Tennessee led 38-18 on McRaes first-half dunk and pushed the lead to 24 points late. "This dont even seem real right now," said sophomore Derrick Gordon, the only UMass player to have tournament experience from his previous stop at Western Kentucky. "Its just a loss that just like, Man, am I still sleeping? Reality sets in, like we really just lost and it wasnt a loss by like four points. It was a loss by double digits." It was a frustrating finish for the Minutemen under coach Derek Kellogg, who was a player during Massachusetts 1990s surge under John Calipari. He started on a team that reached a regional final in 1995 during a run of seven straight NCAA appearances for the program, but his team never gave itself much of a chance to stick around Raleigh for another game. UMass shot 42 per cent and went 3 for 11 from 3-point range. ' ' '