Forums » News and Announcements

SHIMANO LINKGLIDE XT M8130 GROUPSET

• 2785 posts
    August 1, 2022 10:48 PM EDT

Shimano’s new Linkglide drivetrains are primarily aimed at eBikes. Whilst Hyperglide+ remains Shimano’s premium shifting option in terms of the shift lightness, shift speed and overall performance, the robustness of Linkglide components will appeal to both eMTB riders and product managers across the globe.To get more news about ebike accessories, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.

Why wouldn’t additional robustness appeal to ‘regular’ bikes as well? With the additional reinforcement added to the cassette, the 11-50 11 speed XT cassette weighs in at a whopping 780 grams. Compared to an 11-46 XT 11 speed cassette at 440 grams, that’s nearly double the weight, and the rear wheel isn’t a great spot for that weight either. So, whilst you could run Linkglide components on your regular bike, you’re going to want some serious watts in your legs to get you up the climbs.To get more news about rad rover 5, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.
    The additional weight of the Linkglide drivetrains is less important when your bike has a motor. The key figure that has me sold if accurate is the claim that a Linkglide cassette will last 300% longer, something that will save eMTB riders plenty of money and time over the lifespan of their bike.To get more news about waterproof bag for bike, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.

I received a Merida eONE SIXTY 300S fitted with Shimano’s M8130 11 speed XT Linkglide drivetrain. Whilst a bike at this level (RRP: $5999) probably won’t come with the XT drivetrain, this is exactly the type of eBike that I’d expect we’ll see plenty of Deore M5130 Linkglide 10 speed drivetrains specced on next year. Alongside the reduction in gears, the gear ranges are also reduced to 11-50 on the XT cassette, and 11-43 on the Deore cassette. Shimano are also using their HG freehubs for their Linkglide cassettes, as opposed to the Micro Spline freehubs used for their 12 speed drivetrains.The Linkglide series also features specific derailleurs and shifters. As the derailleurs accommodate a more limited gear range, their cages are smaller and better tucked out of the way. They’re also built to withstand more abuse, and Shimano claim they’re easier to index than their Hyperglide+ siblings.

The shifters are limited to one downshift at a time, which is smart as the old double shift combined with high watts from an eMTB isn’t a great idea for drivetrain longevity. You can use Shimano’s current 11 speed chains with Linkglide drivetrains, but Shimano also offer a Linkglide chain at the cheap and cheerful price of $45. Unfortunately, Shimano’s current 10 and 11 speed drivetrain parts aren’t cross-compatible with Linkglide components. To make this clear, Linkglide cassettes will feature different graphics (although the cassette on my sample bike was an unmarked prototype).

The way Shimano have been able to increase the durability of the cassette has been reducing what they refer to as ‘pedal shock’. Pedal shock is how much the chain reverberates after a shift. They’ve reduced pedal shock by increasing the width of the cassette’s teeth at the base, and the leading and trailing edges of the teeth are designed for smooth engagement and release.

Shimano have also changed what’s called the ‘shift gate’ on Linkglide cassettes, which refers to how the cassette has been moulded to allow for smooth shifting. The new shift gate design creates minimal deflection when performing a shift. Are you a bit confused? Essentially the less the chain is moving around after a shift, the better it is for cassette longevity. So, do all these changes make a difference out on the trail? As I said I was equipped with a full Shimano Linkglide Deore XT M8130 drivetrain, and I was impressed by the performance on offer. Whilst the shifting feels a touch more forceful and solid than a Hyperglide+ drivetrain, this is a feeling I prefer aboard the eBike to know a shift has been completed and I can start cranking.

Shimano are also on the money with their claim of easier indexing. Whilst on a 12 speed Shimano drivetrain you might be able to ‘massage’ your drivetrain into another gear either intentionally or unintentionally without completing a shift, I found that the Linkglide drivetrain didn’t move into the next gear until the shift had been fully completed. This should reduce the chance when you’re changing multiple gears that the chain will end up in the wrong gear for a split second and then jump back down, which can lead to a snapped chain on an eMTB.

As the 11-50 cassette ratio is covered by 11 gears rather than 12, there are bigger gaps between gears than on Shimano’s 12 speed drivetrains. Once again this wasn’t an issue for me, as on the eBike the motor can assist you to match your gear and cadence to the conditions. The difference between Linkglide XT and regular XT is a matter of one tooth either way (11-50 versus 10-51). I believe the benefit of pedal assistance, and drivetrain durability, more than makes up for a small shortfall in gear range.