Forums » Suggestions

the team with Luis (Suarez) going and

• September 11, 2019 10:10 PM EDT

TAMPA, Fla. Chris Tierney Senators Jersey . -- The Toronto Maple Leafs faded out of post-season contention again. Ondrej Palat had two goals, Anders Lindback came off the bench to make 25 saves, and the Tampa Bay Lightning ended Torontos playoff hopes by beating the Maple Leafs 3-0 on Tuesday night. "Not in shock," Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said. "I guess the words to describe it would be extremely disappointed, shallow, embarrassed. All those things. I think we have more than what we were able to accomplish, and thats the most troubling issue here. "We just didnt find a way to compete to a level that was necessary." James Reimer stopped 31 shots for the Maple Leafs, who have lost 10 of 12. Toronto has missed the playoffs eight of the last nine seasons. "Obviously, this one hurts," Reimer said. "The bottom line, we werent good enough. I think that as a guy and as a team, you look in the mirror and you just have to accept that we werent good enough. A wise man once said that the playoffs dont let you in unless youre good enough. You dont sneak in there if you dont deserve it." The loss to Tampa Bay and Columbus overtime win over Phoenix sealed the Maple Leafs fate. "I actually didnt say anything (to the team) after because I was real disappointed, obviously, knowing that Columbus had won in overtime," Carlyle said. "They knew that after the game as well as I did, so it was a moot point going in and saying anything at this point. Well meet tomorrow and well talk tomorrow." Tampa Bay goalie Ben Bishop left with 14:17 left in the first due to an undisclosed upper-body injury. He was hurt while lunging to his left and landing on his side while attempting to glove the puck. Lindback replaced Bishop, who is 37-14-7 this season for the playoff-bound Lightning. Lightning coach Jon Cooper offered no specifics about Bishops injury. He did say Bishop will not play Thursday night against Philadelphia -- which was a scheduled game off -- and that plans to call up another goalie were already in the works before the injury. "Lets just wait and see what happens here," Cooper said. "No sense in speculating. Hes either going to be ready to go or hes not. Im really confident in what we have, especially after watching the performance tonight." Victor Hedman had an empty-net goal late in the third for the Lightning, who trail Montreal by two points for second place in the Atlantic Division. Bishop turned aside three shots before departing. Palat put the Lightning up 1-0 when he beat Reimer from the top of the left circle 9:19 into the second. Tampa Bay went up 2-0 during a power play when Palat, positioned near the post, scored after Steven Stamkos sent the puck off the boards behind the net with 4:15 left in the second. Lindback made a nifty glove save on Jake Gardiners shot late in the second. "Tonight wasnt a surprise for us that he came in and was huge," Hedman said. "He made those key saves when we needed him." NOTES: Lightning D Sami Salo left after two shifts in the second period with an undisclosed injury. ... Toronto C Dave Bolland (ankle) was scratched. The Maple Leafs were already without G Jonathan Bernier (knee) and RW Joffrey Lupul, who had what the team called successful arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday. ... Stamkos is the Lightning nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. ... Palat has three goals and six points during a four-game point streak. ... The Maple Leafs recalled RW Carter Ashton and G Drew MacIntyre from Toronto of the AHL. Christian Jaros Jersey . - A week after a late-game debacle on defence, the Pittsburgh Steelers showed they can finish. Brady Tkachuk Senators Jersey . It was just business as usual for the Thunder at home. Durant scored 32 points and the Thunder beat the Bulls 107-95 on Thursday night for their eighth straight win.LONDON - Eden Hazard converted a second-half penalty as Chelsea beat Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Saturday to remain four points clear at the top of the Premier League.Arsenal and Southampton also won, but Liverpools inconsistent start to the season continued with an away loss to Newcastle.Oscar put Jose Mourinhos Chelsea side ahead on 32 minutes with a sublime finish across the goal, but Charlie Austin hauled QPR level with a clever back-heeled flick.Hazard was then fouled by Eduardo Vargas, and the Belgium international won the game from the penalty spot.But Chelsea manager Mourinho was not impressed with the performance from his team.I dont think we played a very complete game like we normally do, Mourinho said. We had a fantastic reaction at 1-1 but if we play better, we win the game with different numbers. They had very good defensive organization.QPR manager Harry Redknapp felt aggrieved at the decision to award Chelsea a penalty, and praised the effort from his team at Stamford Bridge.I thought there was every chance we would get a point from the game, Redknapp said. The penalty was soft but I cant fault the effort or the way we played.Arsenal had to wait until the 70th minute to take the lead at home to bottom club Burnley through Alexis Sanchez, before Calum Chambers scored from close range for his first Arsenal goal two minutes later as Burnley failed to clear a corner. Sanchez then added another in the last minute.But it was his opening goal, a powerful downward header beyond goalkeeper Tom Heaton from Chambers cross, which pleased his manager Arsene Wenger.His header was more of a result of desire than doing something technically. He is a fighter, Wenger said of Sanchez. Through the centre of the pitch he iss more dangerous because he likes to take people on. Thomas Chabot Jersey. Elsewhere, Liverpools underwhelming start to the season continued as they slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle. Substitute Ayoze Perez scored the decisive goal in the 74th, after Alberto Moreno failed to clear Moussa Sissokos pass in the penalty area, for Newcastles fourth straight win in all competitions.Manager Brendan Rodgers acknowledged that Liverpool is not posing enough of an attacking threat compared to last season.Weve lost probably 80 per cent of our goals out of the team with Luis (Suarez) going and Daniel (Sturridges injury), Rodgers said. We cant keep going on about it but it is an item as to why were not getting so many goals.But Southampton continued its impressive start to the season with a 1-0 win at Hull.Victor Wanyama scored for Ronald Koemans side in the third minute with a long-range strike after Hull goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic picked out the midfielder with a poor clearance. Southamptons win means it remains second in the table.It was not our best game in my opinion, Koeman said. After we scored, Hull was controlling. But the team performance was incredible and another clean sheet brings the points. Good organization is the key for teams to be successful and we showed that today.Everton was held to a 0-0 draw against Swansea at Goodison Park, while West Ham came from two goals down away to Stoke to draw 2-2.Victor Moses and Mame Biram Diouf put Stoke ahead before Stewart Downing instigated West Hams comeback. He assisted Enner Valencias goal on the hour before scoring himself with a fierce strike to earn a point for his side 13 minutes later.West Brom won 1-0 at Leicester after an own goal from Esteban Cambiasso. ' ' '