Forums » News and Announcements

manager Ben Cherington as

• March 21, 2020 1:28 AM EDT

LA CAVERNE DU PONT-DARC, France -- Tom Dumoulin had this day circled on his calendar for months. Nike Huarache Wholesale China .The Dutch cyclist knew that the opening time trial of the Tour de France perfectly suited his strengths.But when he awoke on Friday to the news of the truck attack in nearby Nice that left at least 84 people dead, many of them children, his plans went out the window.I went out of focus this morning, which is normal I guess, when you hear about these terrible things happening just a few hundred kilometers away from you, Dumoulin said. But I just went for it and it was a very good time trial. To win with more than a minute on (Chris) Froome and everyone else is something I didnt expect, and it gives me a lot of confidence.Starting well before the races overall leaders on a day featuring 70-kph (45-mph) winds, Dumoulin dominated the 37.5-kilometer (23-mile) race against the clock from Bourg-Saint-Andeol to La Caverne du Pont-Darc, the decorated cave that contains human drawings from about 30,000 years ago.Dumoulin won the 13th stage with a massive advantage of 63 seconds on Froome, with Portugal time trial champion Nelson Oliveira placing third, 1:31 back.It was Dumoulins second stage victory of this Tour after he also claimed Stage 9 with a solo breakaway through a hailstorm on a mountain-top finish in Andorra.Few riders besides the top overall contenders can win both a big mountain stage and a time trial in the same Grand Tour. In addition to two stages in last years Spanish Vuelta, Dumoulin also won the opening time trial in this years Giro dItalia, and wore the pink jersey for six stages before withdrawing midway through the race with saddle sores.So when might the Team Giant-Alpecin rider attempt to win a Grand Tour?Ive been asked that a lot of times, Dumoulin said. But also winning by a minute in a time trial is not possible when you go full gas every day. So theres a bit of perspective. I will definitely be focusing on the GC (general classification) in a Grand Tour in the future but I cannot say when that will be.Dumoulin is 40th overall, nearly an hour behind race leader Froome.More importantly, he considers himself the favorite for the time trial at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.I am. I cannot deny that after today, Dumoulin said. I have to maintain my condition to maintain that. I will not go full out every day. Ill keep picking my days and hopefully it will pay off in Rio.---Andrew Dampf on Twitter: www.twitter.com/asdampf Nike Shox Wholesale China . After taking two big hits this week -- losing at home and dropping back-to-back games for the first time all season -- Indiana struck back by playing its most complete game of the year. Mens Vapormax Clearance . Neymar curled home a free kick from just outside the area to put the 2014 World Cup host ahead in the 44th minute. Three minutes after the break, a simple through pass from Paulinho freed Oscar and the Chelsea star rounded goalkeeper Jung Sung-ryong to extend Brazils lead. http://www.nikeshoesoutletwholesale.com/air-force-1-sale.html . Tests earlier this week revealed a Grade 2 left hamstring strain for Sabathia, who was hurt in last Fridays start against San Francisco. Its an injury that will require about eight weeks to heal. He finished a disappointing campaign just 14-13 with a career-worst 4. TORONTO -- Some old feelings of stress and satisfaction came flooding back to Tampa Bay pitcher Alex Cobb as he walked off the mound Wednesday.Cobb pitched 6 2/3 innings to win for the first time in almost two years, Kevin Kiermaier and Corey Dickerson hit two-run homers and the Rays beat the Toronto Blue Jays 8-1.Cobb (1-0) allowed one run and two hits to win for the first time since Sept. 23, 2014, against Boston. The oft-injured right-hander, who recently returned from elbow surgery, had gone 722 days between victories.I love winning, Cobb said. Its why starters go out there. You want to win the ball game, you want to work deep.Torontos Devon Travis doubled to lead off the first and scored on Edwin Encarnacions sacrifice fly, but the Blue Jays didnt get another hit until Dioner Navarros one-out single in the seventh.Ryan Garton came on after a two-out walk to Kevin Pillar and got Ryan Goins to pop out.First of all, I forgot how stressful it is leaving the game with runners on, Cobb said. Garton came up big for me and got that pop up. Before it was even caught I started having those feelings of satisfaction. You want to see the fruit of your labor.Third baseman Evan Longoria called Cobb the emotional leader of Tampa Bays staff.Its good to have him back, Longoria said. Im happy for him. I know how hard he worked to get back to this point.Dickerson echoed Longorias remark.Ive watched (Cobb) work from spring training through the season, seen the competitor that he is, Dickerson said. Hes an ace and he goes out there and pitches like it.Dickerson had three hits and four RBI as the Rays won for the sixth time in eight games at Rogers Centre.Last-place Tampa Bay now has a franchise-record 200 homers, eclipsing the previous mark of 199 in 2009.Reigning AL MVP Josh Donaldson sat out his third straight game for Toronto and underwent an MRI on his sore right hip. The results were not immediately available.Hopefully Ill be able to get back out there tomorrow, Donaldson said after the game.Toronto, now 3-9 in Seeptember, holds the second AL wild card after falling one game behind Baltimore, which beat Boston later Wednesday night. Air Force 1 Low Outlet. The Red Sox lead the AL East by one game over the Orioles and two over the Blue Jays.Ive got to believe were at rock bottom, manager John Gibbons said. I dont see how much lower it could go.Marco Estrada (8-9) allowed four runs and four hits in 5 1/3 innings. Hes 1-5 with an 6.95 ERA in his past seven starts.Im not going to change anything, Estrada said. I felt like I threw the ball really well.The right-hander struck out the Rays first five batters of the game, becoming the first Blue Jays pitcher to achieve the feat. Estrada was perfect through three before giving up three runs and three hits in the fourth.Logan Forysthe singled and Keiermaier followed with a first-pitch home run. Estrada left after Nick Franklins one-out single in the sixth. Matt Dermody came on and gave up Dickersons homer.GOOD TIMES ON GETAWAY DAYThe Rays have won three straight and six of seven on days when they are travelling.FRONT OFFICE ADDITiONLate in the game, Toronto announced the hiring of former Boston general manager Ben Cherington as Vice President of Baseball Operations.TRAINERS ROOMBlue Jays: GM Ross Atkins said Donaldsons hip was not responding to treatment. Atkins said he expected Donaldson to travel with his teammates to the West Coast as the Blue Jays begin a four-game series against the Angels on Thursday.UP NEXTRays: LHP Blake Snell (5-8, 3.62) faces the Orioles for the first time as Tampa Bay opens a four-game series at Baltimore on Thursday. Snell has faced every other AL East rival at least twice. RHP Yovani Gallardo (5-7, 5.44) starts for the Orioles.Blue Jays: LHP J.A. Happ (18-4, 3.33) starts against the Angels on Thursday. Happ snapped a three-start winless streak by beating Boston on Saturday. RHP Daniel Wright (0-2, 7.50) starts for Los Angeles. ' ' '