Forums » News and Announcements

only in the body and th

• 68 posts
    January 20, 2020 10:21 PM EST

In a year where the level of potential quarterback play in Winnipeg remains a relative unknown, establishing a solid running attack will be of utmost importance for both Blue Bombers head coach Mike OShea and coordinator Marcel Bellefeuilles offence. Patrick Willis Jersey . Bellefeuille - in his only media availability for 2014 at minicamp in Bradenton, Florida due to new media policies put in place by the first-year head coach - says his offence has been re-built 100 per cent from scratch. But who will be the feature tailback? OShea says it will not be a backfield by committee. "The roster doesnt allow it to be. But certainly itll give us lots of options," said OShea. "Or, we hope that it continues the way its going that itll give us lots of options by the time we make the final roster." The incumbent starter, Will Ford, is joined by rookies Paris Cotton and Nic Grigsby, and a pair of Canadians in fourth-year Bomber Carl Volny, and 2014 undrafted free agent Errol Brooks. "Its exciting - five different styles of running backs, and it keeps you going," said Ford, a 2013 East Division All-Star selection in his second CFL season. "It keeps you on your toes. Were just competing to make ourselves better. It aint a 1-2-3-4-5. Its just were all competing to make each other better." After taking over starting duties for the injured Chad Simpson midway through the season, Ford finished his standout 2013 campaign by leading the team in rushing yards (594), kick return yards (1,047), and combined yards (1,682), which ranked sixth in the CFL in just nine starts. General manager Kyle Walters must feel confident in the pair of import rookies he has behind Ford - Cotton and Grigsby - as the club did not bring in another back following the release of five-year NFL veteran Kevin Smith after just one day of training camp. Cotton, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound power-pack, has shown soft hands and flashes of explosiveness and escapability in camp. "Speed. Cant beat speed. Cant coach speed," said Cotton when asked what he brings to the football field. "I like my chances. Build it yourself - thats how I see it. Im just coming in, doing everything I can to win a job." With the quickness and speed Cotton has put on display - like Ford - he may be an option in the return game as well. "I want to return. I want to do everything I can to help this team." Grigsby sees the differences in the Canadian game, which he admits he has known about for a long time, as an opportunity to exploit his skill set. An attendee of B.C. Lions training camp in 2012 before taking another crack as a baseball player, it appears he has an advanced understanding of what a CFL running back is despite being a first-year player. "Theyre trying to get the running backs involved more in the pass game," said the 5-foot-10, 190-pound University of Arizona product. "Dumping us out. They want us speed guys to get in space and turn a five-yard play into 60 yards." "Be a great decoy without the football too. A lot of us running backs, we want the ball, we want the ball, but in this offence and in this field its good stretching a defence. So youve got to be a decoy and make sure youre running out your fakes. I mean, its hard. It gets tiring. But youve got to put in that mental effort at that time and make that happen." "Im very fiery," continued Grigsby. "I love when youve got that feeling behind you when youre making a big play to make a spark, you can feel the crowd and bring energy to the big stadium — a nice beautiful stadium like this is. We walked out here (on Day 1 at Investors Group Field) and I was like, OK. Were here." Injury Report The list of those nursing bumps and bruises - all deemed short-term by Mike OShea - is getting quite lengthy. Ruled out for Mondays preseason opener against Toronto are expected Week 1 starters Johnny Sears (groin), Jason Vega (hip flexor), Ejiro Kuale (ankle), Will Ford (hamstring), Donovan Alexander (calf), and punter Mike Renaud (back tightness), as well as Canadian slotback Cory Watson who has sat out of every day of camp since Day 1 when he sustained a hamstring injury. Also out are 2014 draft picks Aram Eisho (hamstring) and Jesse Briggs (shoulder), who has missed the last five days of camp. Safety Dan West (calf) and Paul Swiston (shoulder) have also been ruled out. Swiston, a Canadian offensive lineman, is the only "long-term" recovery as he heals from offseason surgery. DeForest Buckner Jersey .J. -- Having Ondrej Pavelec earn his 100th NHL win and seeing Mark Scheifele and Evander Kane break goal droughts were nice highlights for the Winnipeg Jets. Kevin Greene Jersey . Pinch-hitter Tommy Medica singled in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning and the Padres beat the Seattle Mariners 2-1 in their first home game since Gwynn died of cancer Monday.BIRMINGHAM, England -- Former world No. 1 Ana Ivanovic, who admits to a dislike of competing on grass, moved within one win of her first final on the surface with her third confident victory in a row at the Aegon Classic on Friday. The top-seeded Serbian beat the sixth-seeded Czech, Klara Koukalova, 6-1, 6-4 to reach the semifinals of the Wimbledon warm-up event. Ivanovic has described playing on grass as "like being stuck to the ground all of a sudden," but there was little wrong with her movement nor any evident lack of self-belief as she forcefully completed her win in 72 minutes. There was a 20-minute phase in the second set when Koukalova, who has a grass-court title to her name, seemed capable of regaining parity and held service up until 4-3. But Ivanovic boldly attacked off the ground to break serve in the psychologically crucial moments of the ninth game, and closed out the match without fuss. "Its a tough transition, not only in the body and thhe movement, but also in the mindset," Ivanovic said of her improved grass-court showing. Leo Nomellini Jersey. She was even now able to believe she could win the tournament. "I have more confidence. Its about rhythm and getting ready for the next match. Now I have the flow," she said. Ivanovic will meet surprise semifinalist Zhang Shuai, the ninth-seeded Chinese player who patiently took advantage of an error-prone, self-critical Sloane Stephens, the third-seeded American, to win 6-3, 6-1. There will not be a fairytale finalist in the bottom half. Kimiko Date-Krumm, the 43-year-old Japanese who ousted defending champion Daniela Hantuchova on Thursday, was unable to emerge fresh for a fourth consecutive day, lasting only three-quarters of an hour in a 6-1, 6-0 loss to 16th-seeded Casey Dellacqua of Australia. In the remaining quarterfinal, Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic defeated fourth-seeded Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium 6-4, 6-2. ' ' '